1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Warning Of (terrible) Bike Buying Scam

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by camelfarmer, Aug 6, 2017.

1. You'd have to be pretty stupid to fall for this but I'll lay the details out anyway out of interest.

Friend at work is selling a bike on MCN autotrader etc...
    Guy emails and says he will take it for full price. Can't come to see the bike because of distance and work, but will organise a courier.
    My friend is smart so has set up a seperate email address to deal with the bike sale.
    Sends the 'buyer' an invoice for the full price on paypal.
    The buyer emails him and says he's paid it plus the courier's fee and wants the seller to moneygram £700 to the 'courier'.
    My friend also gets an email from paypal saying the full ammount has been paid into his account by the buyer. The email looks legit. Except the email is sent to the new email address, which isn't the one associated with the paypal account. Needless to say, on checking paypal there is no money there.

Now you'd have to be thick as shit to take out £700 and moneygram it to some account in china and imagine its a courier. You'd have to be stupid to imagine a courier would cost that much on a bike worth £3000. You'd have to be stupider to do all that without first checking your paypal account.
    But I guess 1 in a 1000 must be falling for it to make it worth trying?

• Useful Useful x 3
  2. You have a suspicious friend who is very clever, is there no end to these scams. As you say you would have to be a bit foolish to fall for the moneygram payment.

3. You think it's that high ?? Surely even 1 bloke every 1000 ain't that thick ?? :confused:

4. I had a "buyer" when I had a bike advertised on MCN. Contacted me by text, said her name was Julie and she wanted to buy my bike as a present for someone else. She couldn't come to view it because she worked on an oil rig in the North Sea. But the price was fine, just give her my address and she'd transfer the money and send a courier to collect the bike.
    Julie didn't get round to asking for money for the courier because I told her to find the biggest derrick in the piper Alpha oil field and go fuck herself on it.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. My brothers name is derek.....said he had this gorgeous girl called Julie who was minted and really upset she couldn't buy some bike....ended up having a marathon in bed with her !!!!!!

• Funny Funny x 5
  6. Your brother owes me. Transfers accepted or I can send a courier to collect cash.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Post of the day. :laughing:

8. To be fair there's still people falling for 'I'm a rich african prince needing to transfer 50 million' scam..... If there wasn't they wouldn't keep trying it.

For every scammer out there, there are a hundred stupid people waiting.

9. [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  10. I fear it may be as many as 52 in 100.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Would have been better with a twix ;)

12. Corrected for you :upyeah:

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. On eBay I have viewed bikes cars and caravans described as mint condition ànd advertised at much lower prices than many others. The first time I saw one and didn't know the score I contacted the seller to view it but was given various reasons why I was not able to.After much messaging I was told " Not to worry because if I paid for the item via PayPal they would refund me if I didn't receive the item." How's that for giving the game away. Now when I am at a loose end and the weather isn't right for bike riding I hunt an ad out and aggravate them with stupid questions until they get sick of me. Everybody has to have a hobby I suppose.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Mate, your life must be full and very very exciting? o_O

15. Shush, let the elite guy dismantle democracy in peace.

#16 Loz, Aug 8, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2017
  16. Gary, do you know duke?

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Ahh, of course, why didn't I see the connection...... Brothers?

18. Tried to buy a motorhome on eBay there's several being offered at lower than normal price all with the same story. Viewing not possible working away will deliver at there cost etc etc
    Interesting article motorhome scams on eBay what amazes me is people happily hand over thousands without having the vehicle in there possession

19. Hey, that must have been the same guy that I spoke to!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information