1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Warning Over Heat Issue - 2009 Ducati 1098r Lithium Battery Failure

Discussion in 'Wasteland' started by AirCon, Feb 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Just removed a dead Lithium battery from a 1098R and sent it back to its owner (so I can no longer do any further tests).

Looks like it got pretty hot.... enough to melt the case of the Lipo battery.
    IMG-20190205-WA0012.jpeg
    Apologies for the poor picture, as you can see the middle of the case is swollen.

Stu when you get the bike can you also advise if there is any signs of over heating on the stator (especially this) and/or rectifier/regulator set.

Battery voltage upon arrival was 0.0003Vdc on a Bench Fluke multimeter.
    Added a 12V battery in parallel, via 20 Watt 12 Ohm resistors, minimal (micro) current to start with, left it three days. Eventually got to 5.91Vdc, so this suggests that some of the cells are faulty.

For comment or discussion.
    Race bike, no road going electrics...lights, indicators etc.

#1 AirCon, Feb 5, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Ducati statement says they only recommend the fitment of the standard specification battery to these bikes as I mentioned on the other thread, but none of the 'decenter's to good advice' answered :eyes:

• Love You Love You x 1
  3. So this was my old bike? The battery was fine a few months ago but I think it wasn’t happy being left connected to bike while the bike was unused for months. I think that’s possibly what killed it?

4. ducati also state only fitting the same as original tyres, and the same shell engine oil......but where would that get us...

• Drama Queen Drama Queen x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Yes, but that's the accountants saying that - my question was specific and answered by their technical department and I also asked about fitting Ducati supplied Lithium batteries from a main dealer - it's a 'No' from them I'm afraid :motorcycleduc::bomb:

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. To prevent burning Ducati's :):upyeah:so we don't have to buy new ones as the recalls cost too much :bucktooth:

7. So Ducati supply lithium batteries at the main dealers, but ducati say you cant fit them?

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. So, I enquiried at a main dealer about fitting the “Ducati” lithium battery from the 959Corse into my standard 959. I was told “no problem, you’ll just need a new charger”.

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  9. Hi Ash,
    I didn't name anyone, as there is no blame, just facts.

What follows is an educated opinion.
    I've not done any active checks and the bike is now on it's way.
    It appears that the LiPo battery has severely over heated, since I put on a AGM battery and that started the bike this morning (after 5 days?) I'd suggest that it wasn't drain that caused the battery to overheat, but instead charging. More than likely the 1098R own "generator set".
    Did you ever put this bike on any battery tender?

10. You are a silly billy at times :rolleyes:
    You have read all the threads :bucktooth:
    some bikes have been designed with Lithium in mind.
    Ducati say only fit 'standard fitment batteries' so that's exactly what they are saying regarding a 1098 or any other model that wasn't fitted with a Lithium battery as a standard / option.
    Thanks for asking for clarity if you were genuinely that silly :worried:

11. That bike has a Lithium as an option FFS - grow up :yum

12. Unless the bike was designed for Lipo.... Exige can you post the letter in this thread.

13. As soon as we get Ash to answer the tender question we can state that this make/model of battery was unsuitable for this actual bike, as configured for the track.
    The battery may have behaved differently if all the normal electrics / loads where present, but I wouldn't guarantee that the same would not have happened anyway.
    The battery melted.... and once the new owner opens the battery (it's in the bag, make sure you unload it off the van), we will be able to see what happened in this particular incident.

Exige what was the other model / year that caught fire?

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. It's in the other thread wherever that was :thinkingface: but some people didn't want to comment or even read it perhaps. :rolleyes: bless their little cotton socks (although they probably wear nylon ones :scream:)

15. The Corse has a lithium, but my 959 was out before the Corse. Both the 959’s I bought before the Corse came out didn’t have an option to fit when ordering (maybe they did, however it wasn’t something I was made aware of). So there is a special edition out with a Lithium, I wouldn’t have said that automatically means you can add it to any of that model line out before it?... I’m not trying to be awkward (or childish), it is a genuine question because I want to fit one and I keep reading horror stories.

(Edit: I haven’t seen another thread, so apologies if it was covered there.... just don’t be angry I haven’t read everything you ever posted ;))

• Like Like x 1
  16. Ask the dealership where you are buying the battery if they can confirm it is acceptable.
    By that I mean can they check the stator, regulator/rectifier (in fact all the components in the charge/generator circuit) has the same part numbers for your bike and the Lithium models?
    I assume the hot components are in the exact same place on both bikes?

If your bike had a fire and you had replaced the battery with Lipo if the insurance assessor picked up on this and thought he could blame this I wouldn't expect a payout. The above research could be used to ensure any such claim was paid.

Just so you know this isn't scare mongering (as some very ungenerous people have alleged), but instead a genuine attempt to let people know we have seen at least two Ducati's that have melted batteries or charge components while doing this "upgrade".
    Where I sit on the risk scale for my Ducati's is fit an AGM battery; unless you are 100% sure that Lipo is acceptable. And by that I mean you have the skill set to assess the risks.

17. The question a dealer should be asked is if fitting a Lithium Battery to an older model will they warranty it (and your bike) if it causes your Reg Rec to set a light :thinkingface: if so make sure they put it in writing :bucktooth:

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. This same subject has been discussed ad nauseum and some not very useful input has muddied the message.

19. Actually the damage to the battery tray was something completely separate and wasn't caused by the battery getting hot.
    The previous owner left the exhaust plug / 02 plug out and the exhaust gasses caused that damage the first time I used the bike.

• Useful Useful x 1
  20. Please can you guys play in the other threads :) :upyeah:
    Lets just try to keep this to the issue raised.

• Drama Queen Drama Queen x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Do Not Sell My Personal Information