1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1260 Warped Disks

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by freshage, Jul 12, 2021.

1. Oh boy, here we go again. When I picked up my 1260 S GT last year, I noticed the front disks were slightly warped. The dealer had a look and told me they were within tolerances however agreed to replace one disk.

Fast forward to today, I've since put several thousand (7k...) km's on the bike. Up until a big 4 day trip with my wife last weekend, it only had around 3k on it and the disks were 'fine'. When walking the bike back, it would rub and play me a lovely harmonic tune on parts of the disks.

However, on that big trip, we were not exactly taking it slow on some of the twisties and I could certainly feel the warping when braking hard for hairpins, which I imagine with full panniers and a pillion, the extra weight highlighted the minor warping even more.

Now the disks are pretty much back to where they were when I first got the bike, I'll be taking it in to Ducati next week, I'm curious, has anyone had this issue? Should I just demand the replace both disks and pads regardless? The warping certainly didn't inspire confidence...

2. Takes a lot for discs to warp. Not impossible but takes a lot. Have you done any measurements yourself to be sure? And have you taken the wheel off recently? Some people don't put the front wheels on properly and gives the effect of warping as there is a lot of judder when braking. Also, how are the pads? Evenly warn? Have you given the calipers and pistons a good clean? You probably did all this already, but just my thoughts

3. Cleaned and checked. Not removed the wheel my self. It's been like this since delivery (bough new, had to wait for delivery from factory).

I've yet to measure, I'll do this over the weekend then.

4. Be better if you are able to measure how warped it is because they'll say 'its in spec' again most likely and leave you with an expensive problem.

5. Many moons ago in a technical training wing, I was taught this..

Obviously the heat generated by braking can be significant.

When it is quite evenly spread around the disc rotor no problem, that’s what it is designed to do, esp. floating discs.

If however, when you come to a halt you keep the brake on for a prolonged period whilst stationary, ie enough for the disc to start to cool down, the area under the pads doesn’t cool anywhere near as quickly.

That in itself can be enough to create localised warping.

Hope that helps
    :upyeah:

#5 Oldrat, Jul 12, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2021
  6. Have you checked the discs are still free and floating properly? Apparently that can be the problem.
    Easy fix to free them off.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Mine did the same, and were replaced under warranty. I’ve got a good dealer who ordered Brembo Serie Oro discs instead, which are loads better.

8. I’ve just bought a pair of Serie Oro’s. Glad to hear they are better.

9. Much better. Go for the Brembo racing pads (in red, obviously), and you’ll notice a significant improvement.

10. Ive had my warped discs replaced at 2500 miles and on my 1200 I had two pairs replaced under warranty, seem to be made out of cheese, I rode 33k on my old ZZR without any problems and believe me that bike had a hard life so go figure, if I ever had to replace them out of warranty it would be aftermarket ones although the bike will be up for sale soon as the wife is giving up long distance touring so time for something a bit different

11. there always the chance they are not warped . Look for a small amount of pitting on the disk about the size of a brake pad.

12. Just to clarify, even if I've not been on the bike for a while, if it's on it's centre stand for example, you can't freely turn the front wheel without it rubbing (and stopping unless pushed past the spot) on the disks in some spots. It's clearly warped ever so slightly and this has been a problem since day 1. I honestly don't think this is a problem that's gotten there because of none floating disks or grit in the pads.

Once this week is done (crazy work week) I'm going to call the dealer and just tell them that replacing the single disk simply hasn't worked and they need to replace both.

#12 freshage, Jul 13, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2021
  13. Warped discs is a well known issue with both the 1200DVT and 1260, both of my bikes had them replaced twice under warranty at relatively low mileage, however the 3rd set on each didn't / haven't had the same problem and went on to complete well over 25k.
    You could of course get them checked at an MOT centre, Italia Moto replaced mine based on the brake test read out.

14. Would have to see where I can get that done here in Netherlands. But good shout!

15. Get them to replace the discs but pay the extra for the Serie Oro’s….Or, you can get them direct from Italy for £265 + post on eBay. I’ll leave you to convert it back to Euros. You’ll need fresh pads for about £60… get the Brembo 07BB37SA Pads.

FYI I just bought two new Oro’s for the front, little more expensive in the Uk but dead easy to fit yourself and it’s nowhere near the big deal you initially think it is.

The dealer will big it all up though. Your call.

16. I don't mind doing it my self, replaced disks before. I think I'm mostly just expecting this fault to be replaced under warranty. Got a part number for the Oro's? I thought I found some earlier but when looking up the original disks, the Oro's almost half the price unless I found the wrong part.

I'm assuming this? https://www.carpimoto.it/en-NL/Bike...8A4-Brembo-Serie-Oro-Brake-Rotor-78B408A4.htm

If so, I might just sod off the dealer and buy the set now and do it my self. Not really in the mood to argue with the dealer if they come back again saying it's within tolerance when it's clearly not normal.

17. Thanks to @rotaxracer I’ve just fitted* the Oro discs and Red Brembo pads, considerable improvement in braking feel and performance.

*Actually Pete fitted them for me!

• Like Like x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information