1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1198 Was: 1198 R Questions, Now: Sp And Corse Questions Too :)

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by John W, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Hi all,
    Apologies for the questions, but getting mixed information from searching, so thought it was best to ask those that know.
    I have been on the look out for a low miles 1198SP, but started looking at the S Corse and even an R Corse if I can swing it.
    So the questions:
    - Did the R differ at all over the couple of years it was made ?
    - If so, Are there any obvious things to look for to determine which year ?
    - Am I right in thinking the R Corse edition is a 2010R with paint ?
    - Does the R have the larger capacity tank, or was that only the SP ?
    - Are they 7 or 10 spoke wheels, and are they alloy? (Lots of pictures with 7 spokes but some have 10spokes)
    - Were magnesium wheels offered similar to the 1098R ? (Seen a few pictures of gold wheels which I assume are magnesium)
    - What kit did they come with as standard (paddock stand carbon end can ?)
    - None of them seem to be numbered, is that correct ?
    - aside from the R on the panels, are there any obvious things to visually destinguish an R Corse from an S Corse ?

Cheers,
    John.

#1 John W, Oct 9, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
  2. Hi John,

To the best of my knowledge but stand to be corrected:-

1. 1098R made in 2008 and don't think so.
    2. Every 1098R I encounter is a 2008 model. Mine included.
    3. I think so. Certainly same engine.
    4. No.
    5 & 6. Fuck knows. But the 1098R comes with Hyundai gold wheels. Don't think they're magnesium either.
    7. Not sure what came as standard. I think I've got a plaque stuffed somewhere.... Or was that my 999R?
    8. No, mines not numbered but my 999R certainly was.
    9. I identify a 1098R with gold wheels, beautiful carbon seat unit and black yoke.

I'm sure an expert will be along shortly to clear up my vagueness :):upyeah:

3. 1198R is louder then 1098R !

• Like Like x 1

4. Aren't these answers for the 1098R, John is asking about the 1198R?

5. I cannot remember who but someone bought one on here. Rumour has it that there are maybe only 3 1198 R Corse SEs in the UK which makes it ultra rare and expensive, if you found one for sale. IIRC, not numbered and apart from a for the time trick engine, nothing ground breaking to make it stand out like the initial launch of the 1098R. Achingly pretty though but no mag wheels, cast ally. Google pictures should show you the differences between the S and R. Andy

6. It was @yev i think.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. yeah, I've got one. 1 of the 70 units made. not numbered (or thou some of the 1198r's made for US market I believe did come with numbers on top yoke. very pretty, littered in carbon and alli tank. other then that it is your usual rubbish IMG_2974.jpg IMG_2972.jpg IMG_2976.jpg IMG_2986.jpg IMG_2991.jpg IMG_2999.jpg IMG_3012.jpg IMG_3010.jpg IMG_2989.jpg IMG_2980.jpg IMG_2997.jpg

• Like Like x 17
  8. Thanks guys for your answers.
    Yev, beautiful pictures, thanks for sharing. You got a couple of lovely bikes there. Not sure I can swing getting any of mine into the house though :upyeah:

MH, thanks for those answers. This is for an 1198R though, and they mostly seem to have black wheels. Some pictures show gold wheels though (like the 1098R, but with 1198 Panels), hence my confusion.

Robarano, thanks for the links. I've read pretty much everything I can find, but the S and R look visually very similar to me.

I'm looking for things to make sure I don't buy an S dressed up as an R by mistake. Given the small numbers chances are I wont find an R anyway.

Are all the panels carbon, top and side fairings included ?
    I assume the S Corse has normal painted plastic panels, including the seat unit ?

The S was a dual seat, so where are the rear footrest hanger brackets, and does the R have the same rear loop ?
    Is the engine sand cast casings like the earlier Rs, or normal production cases ?

9. belly fairing, seat fairing, front fender, engine belt covers, nose and side of seat/tank infill panels are carbon as standard on 1098R and I would think the same for 1198R

#10 Chris, Oct 9, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
  10. Yes was selling his 1198R a while back
    To correct a point above on the 1098R, they were 2009MY as well as 2008MY, I have 2 2009MY bikes and only one 2008 :(

11. His 1098R you mean...

12. I haven’t sold bike in 5 years

13. He was talking about Mary Hinge, who was selling a 1098R.

14. This is confusing..... :joy::laughing:

And yes, I'm perhaps selling my 1098R.... Or whatever it is.... I'm not sure myself now :)

15. Wow! Stunning my man :upyeah:

16. You did put the 1198R up for sale on here though didn't you? You certainly mentioned it :thinkingface:

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. No

No

No

:yum

#18 Exige, Oct 9, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2018
  18. Hah hah, this is quite funny.

So just to be clear, they were all painted yellow fibre glass panels, right ? :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Righto, full carbon. Yum yum :cool:

I might just stick with the SP, I know what that is:yum :p

19. No mate, I convinced myself to keep it

Do Not Sell My Personal Information