1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Waspyfrankinduke (pic Heavy 996/1098).

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by densel16, Mar 20, 2016.

1. Had this barn find for 3.5 yrs now. Did a full service after u bought it without starting it (good job) then it different things went wrong with it every time I rode it, until the main and big end bearings finally gave up the ghost. Decided to put a freshly rebuilt 07 1098 in. I stupidly thought I'd go the 1098 loom route, not realising I would need clocks, keys, switches, levers m/cyl, battery box, ecu, crank sensor, oil cooler, injectors, throttle bodies, silicone hoses, brake lines, front sprocket, exhaust image.jpg .......you get the picture.

• Like Like x 2
  2. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Header tank leaked, then the new one went in two months!!! Alternator nut came off, then two months later, clutch nut came off. Fitted slipper then spider spring went. Knackered clutch.

#2 densel16, Mar 20, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
  3. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Got Nichols lock nuts and got local engineers to take 1lg off flywheel

#3 densel16, Mar 20, 2016
  4. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Slippers and carbonara

#4 densel16, Mar 20, 2016
  5. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Steerer went. On inspection, magnet chipped, coils burnt, brushes image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg .

#5 densel16, Mar 20, 2016
  6. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Dude, "where's my engine".???
    Main and big ends gone and cracked a circular hole 10cm round in my alt cover. 1098 imminent. Oil pressure light came on at donnington. 2mm movement in and out and about 4mm up and down on crankshaft.

#6 densel16, Mar 20, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
  7. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg New levers( as others wouldn't fit over new switches with mode switch. 1098 oil cooler, inj mounts, clocks, plumbing, batt box, bum. Also exact start cables fitted ( cheers exage).

#7 densel16, Mar 20, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Good effort...:upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Cheers mate. Thanks for all you help and support;)

#9 densel16, Mar 20, 2016
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Take my hat off to you. Think I'd have taken the fecker back to the barn...:Bag:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Haha. Only paid £1500 for it and I think the barn has burnt down!!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Also reg/rect went/ alarm went and I had to remove it and resoulder loom, side stand mount snapped and bike hit the deck and broke the clutch lever, rear pads fell out and piston wore into disc, went to change swingarm bearings and found deep grooves in underside (prob from 14 tooth front sprocket, a bad idea), chain snapped (luckily shot out of the back) and had to walk 3 miles back, fuel tank started leaking and I found bubbles and holes in the bottom (lined it with resto resin) then fuel sender nut split (got metal one from Final edition).

12. This is what the air filter looked like when I did the first service and changed the belts before I started it. image.jpg Good job I never started it. They disintegrated when thy hit the floor.

13. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Got the header and pipe work welded by my mate for £10. He did it in 25mins as I had to go to work. Cleaned them up a bit then wrapped the front pipe in exhaust heat wrap. image.jpg

• Like Like x 2

14. It's alive!!

• Like Like x 6
    • Love You Love You x 1

15. First attempt at firing her up!!!

• Funny Funny x 3
  16. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg I think these are pics of the crank breather. I unscrewed the 996 one and used the rubber I ring from the 1098 on so I could use the 996 breather expansion tank assy and vent

#17 densel16, Apr 10, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
  17. image.jpg
    I said a hip, hop, a hibby, hibby dibby, hip hop stoppin you don't stop the rockin to the bang bang boogie say up jump the boogie to the rhythm of the boogie to beat!! (It's a Rap!!!) exhausts off to stop them melting my tyre and crank breather (now covered in ally tape).
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg image.jpg

Eccentric headstock being moved to the imminent slapper position! image.jpg
    Header tank fabed from used battery filler electrolyte container. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    Airbox fab commencing image.jpg
    image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  18. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg One airbox made. Just got a 998 one which has a flat bottom( after dismantling the plastic weld, so next will be easier to detach. I'm gonna do a aluminium, vacume formed plastic and maybe carbon one. Watch this space!!!

19. image.jpg image.jpg Bottom of 998 airbox (removed).

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information