1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Classic Water In The Fuel Tank

Discussion in 'Scrambler' started by Ducati-d, Feb 23, 2021.

1. Hi all

So I was cleaning the bike yesterday and when I'd finished I noticed water pooling around my fuel cap. Stupidly I opened the cap only see what seemed like gallons of water flowing in to my tank!!

To cut a very long story short; I syphoned as much fuel out as I could, unbolted the tank and released the fuel lines (push the outer ring up toward the tank, hold it there then pull the insert the opposite way and it should come off) I then flipped the tank upside down and opened the cap to remove as much of the dregs as possible.

With the tank off I noticed two things, first one of the drainage holes was totally gunked up 20210223_133316.jpg

And second, both drainage pipes were kinked over and split. I chose to squirt WD down the drainage hole in the tank at the cap, then with a length of tube I blew it through which resulted in this rusty gunk firing out: 20210223_122946.jpg

I trimmed the pipes and diverted them closer to the top yoke behind the air intake, which is logical really seen as how the drainage holes in the tank point in that direction and not straight down: 20210223_133239.jpg

With the drainage pipes trimmed and rerouted, fuel lines, earth and power supply reconnected I re-attached the tank and poured in a bottle of Liqui Moly Fuel Protect which is a water inhibitor and then 10ltr of fuel, shook the bike about to mix it up and started her up and all seems fine.

I hope others find this lal thread useful

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. One of the tubes is a breather, the other the filler drain. It would make more sense to at least take the rain straight down so that any water drains straight out and there is no trap that could silt up and lead to a blockage.

3. Agreed

But the metal tube ends that stick out of the bottom of the tank dont pint down, they point toward the front of the bike, hence the re-routing of the rubber hoses

4. They may indeed point forwards but that's no reason to take the pipes upward, they could go forward and down. Taking the drain hose upwards so that water remains in the lower section be just plain daft. But suit yourself.

5. I think theres been crossed wires here, the pipes dont go upwards in their new position. I've moved them forward so they dont kink, but they dont go upwards.

Should have been clearer, sorry

• Like Like x 1
  6. Yes perhaps we might be. I have a Classic too and I've always ensured that the hoses take their most downward route past in front of the alternator casing. I guess that by trim you have removed an excess at the top that was causing them to kink upwards. There is actually no need to trim them if you pay attention to the routing and pull any excess downwards to the bottom.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information