1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1199 Water Pump Bearing Failure

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by TheStealth, Nov 1, 2018.

1. The water pump bearing has failed on my 1199S (8000 miles, FDSH, dry stored).This has led to damage to the pinions and now requires an expensive repair. Have any other owners had the same problem?

water pump.jpg

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Had a water pump go stiff on my 1299. Was struggling to spin freely so not circulating as it should. Probably if left much longer it would have resulted in similar.

• Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  3. Haven't had any failure myself but how old is your bike, 5 years max? Have you approached Ducati (through a decent dealer) or direct about any goodwill contribution? With a full service history, only 8k miles and its age there's a strong argument that the bike (or parts of it) are not fit for purpose. If these consumer laws can protect against a £500 TV or washing machine etc then they should also apply to an £18k (? when new) motorbike. Just my opinion but if I was in your position the above would be my line of thinking/action.
    Good luck

#3 Squadra Corse, Nov 1, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
  4. I've just had mine done. And yes, a fair bit of wear/tear was found. Plastic cogs! WTF. It's like the plastic fuel connector on the underside of your tank. WTF! On a £20k bike.
    It's now part of my "routine" preventative maintenance, along with several other things that really shouldn't be routine but just form part of the joys of 1199 ownership.
    Mines a 2012, done 4000 miles, with about half of that on track.
    Tbh, now I'm on top of it's little idiosyncrasies, I don't usually have any trouble.
    And luckily, when it goes, it's worth the aggro!

5. I have seen a picture very similar to yours on one of the American forums. It was an 1199...

6. Thats concerned me a little, I have a 2012 1199 with 12000 miles on it and I have just started using it on the track too, what are the warning signs if the cog is worn?

7. It seems that the bearing fails and then the cogs give up and lose teeth as they are seized. The noise is a rumbling noise (if you can hear above the din of the cam chains!).
    The more I learn about this, the more of a common problem it appears to be. I have to say this Ducati (it being the third I have owned) is the most unreliable bike I have ever purchased. The 996 and 998 I have owned have been brilliant over many years and long mileage's. I get the sense that the accountants at Audi build these down to a cost and increase the margins. May be that doesn't matter because I also see that many owners do very few miles and chop their bikes in after a year.

8. ST4s, 996sps Pista, 749s, 1098, 1200 Multi, 899, 959, 1199 I've had.
    The three Pani's have been the easiest to live with I feel, and I'm not sure Audi had much to do with the design of the Pani since it was on the drawing board a long time ago.

9. Money saving is the name of the game I reckon but then to play devils advocate it’s a good job the sprockets are plastic as if you had metals and a seizing water pump it would make a right mess cos the metal teeth wouldn’t snap and they would destroy a lot more.

10. Yes, the real issue is why the bearing would fail. Either a design flaw or cost cutting or both. The upshot is the end of me looking to Ducati for my next bike after over 20 years of them being my first choice.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information