1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1199 Water Pump Gears Warning

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by farmind, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Preparing the bike for the track I was bothered by a small coating of oil around the bottom front of the timing cover, I dont use the bike much and it was nothing much but I didn't want to go on the track with it just in case, so to start the job drain the oil, as the oil is brand new the kitchen saucepan was the best for cleanness, found bits, light brown plastic, l figured thats the gears for the water pump, anyway got the cover off and the idle gear to the water pump has started to disintegrate, looks to me that the teeth have no substance behind them, so when the skin breaks thats it.
    This bike has about 4k miles on it its 2012 reg in 13, lucky for me I found a oil leak that bothered me, if the gear fully went the pump would stop and with the Pani there is no time to stop a catastrophic overheat and seize up, problem is oil change times are quiet long and as I said this is new oil and when I drained it 10 miles ago there was nothing in the oil, only way to check this is to remove the timing cover and look, but see the photos it cannot be just one has this problem.
    Also there is normally a reason for this stuff to fail, but this is just bad quality, pump is fine, water pump gear is fine just this idle gear failed.

IMG_1392.JPG

IMG_1393.JPG

IMG_1391.JPG

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Oh dear :oops:

Atleast you found it before it made a bigger mess though!

3. Can you imagine that going on the straight of the Red bull ring, dont think I would get to write this!

4. I remember seeing the Pani engine when it first can out on a stand at the NEC cut away showing the gear driven cams etc and saw these plastic cogs and thought will they stand up to the forces being put through them, I thought well Ducati has done 1000's of miles testing so they must be fine... Hmmm

5. Morning

I know this was a few years back but did you replace the gear for OEM or upgrade that plastic sprocket??

Also the bits chewed off - where did they end up, I've seen the photo but can't quite work out what part it is??

thanks

6. I put back OEM its all I could find, there are steel ones out there I read but for the job it does the water pump its a of a overkill. The bits you see there are from inside the sump that part is like a baffle inside, none was found in the filter funny enough. I reckon the problem is caused by the extreme heat of the engine. If you have one worth to check oil condition and sump is easy to drop, timing cover little more difficult.

7. thanks - I've ordered a replacement sprocket also going to drop the oil and change the filter.

What's your thoughts on just dropping the oil - I've already lost about 1.5l taking the clutch cover off. Rather than running the bike, getting the oil warm then dropping can I just drop what's left or is it good practice to warm oil first??

8. There are two plastic gears. No need to order unless you find plastic in the oil, filter or sump, im not the only one but also not all of them have this problem as far as I know, if the bike is cold then all the oil has dropped into the sump over time, If the bike is hot from running then there is a lot of oil still in the system that you cant get out, so I have never believed that it needs to be hot to drain main thing is to change oil and filter often. Why did you take off the clutch cover?

9. Yeh clutch casing had a little road rash so time for a change. Just awaiting this plastic gear then I’m good to go

Do Not Sell My Personal Information