1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

We're moving to a dedicated server

Discussion in 'Forum News' started by Rob, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Hi all,

Over the next couple of days we'll be moving to a new fully dedicated server.

It will mean that the forum should run much faster.

We will have:

Quad Core Intel Xeon X3430 @ 2.4GHz
    8GB RAM
    Intel 120GB SSD

Plus I have lots of optimisations being made to the forum to increase performance.

Also we have started to use a Content Delivery Network for faster access for non UK visitors. Basically the images etc are delivered to users via a server much closer to them, meaning a faster page load.

Happy days!

Cheers,

Rob.

• Like Like x 7
  2. Thanks for all you do Rob

• Like Like x 2
  3. +1 - thanks fella :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  4. + 2 , nice one.:upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  5. + another 1. One of the best (if not the best) forums.

Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  6. Another thanks here too! Well done Rob, brilliant forum with wonderful folk. Cheers everyone, here's to 2013 being a good year for one and all.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Rob, good stuff and thanks for all you put into this forum, it is much appreciated :upyeah:

8. Fully sick as bro!

9. Excellent work.
    My day job is programming - so I can make a guess at the amount of work needed to keep the forum up to snuff - a lot!
    Many thanks.
    db

10. Just a heads up, this will be happening shortly.

May be some service interruptions!

Rob.

11. Not a criticism in anyway, but couldn't have the TTL on the DNS been reduced in order to minimise the downtime?

12. You're absolutely right - we had a few major issues.
    1 - 123 Reg took forever for DNS changes to be made
    2 - In the meantime, the new server threw errors
    3 - We needed to revert back to old host (where we are now!)

So, DNS took ages to propagate, some users were on new (broken) server, some here. We then moved DNS back to original host (which took time).

The plan for a seamless transfer failed miserably, we are now trying to work out what is wrong with the new server install!!

Rob.

13. Hi Rob,

Do not know if you have a thread for issues only as for me all of threads look the same. See picture to understand.

View attachment 11221

14. Hi Lucazade. Site images are served by a Content Delivery Network. It looks like your area hasn't yet caught up with the changes. Can you erase your cache to see if it helps?

Thanks,
    Rob.

15. As a fellow web dev (and someone who has had to move client's sites to my own server several times in the last few months) you have my complete sympathy!

16. Cleaned the IE cache no help, however also cleaned the DNS cache now which seems to have done something. Images slowly start to appear. More with each time I switch off and then start IE.

17. Are we there yet? :tongue:

18. Fun and Games! But I just wanted to add my thanks! Cheers!

19. ...complete my posts? ;-)

20. It's still not right, Rob. I'm still talking shit.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information