1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What’s Going On With Tyre Prices , Eh???

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by Poucher, Jun 15, 2021.

1. Needed a new back tyre for my “ workhorse “ Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX , so I called into a local tyre dealer yesterday to get a price, Michelin Road 5, 190/50 ZR 17.........£164 :astonished::astonished: !! Eh !!

So after I uttered the famous Yorkshire War Cry..... “How much :scream: !!” and did my best Basil Fawlty fainting act :joy: ,... all the excuses about Brexit / Covid / Suez Canal / no shipping containers etc came trotting out ...
    Seems like tyre prices have gone through the roof lately, I dread to think how much one of those 200/60 profile Supercorsa’s are for the back of a V4 Panigale now!

After mucho scouring of t’internet, the best price I could find was £142

After the event, but who’s doing the best price deals at the moment ??

2. We are heading for the sunny uplands!

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Do they sell tyres :thinkingface: ?

4. Tried Oponeo?

5. It’s a challenge to choose the correct search phrases for Google to teturn coherent results but it looks like very few tyres are actually manufactured in the UK. If that is the case, there is your explanation for cost creep. Andy

• Like Like x 1
  6. Had quite a few tyres from them, normally pretty good on price but were also expensive for this Mich.

7. its what i payed for the same tyre last year. tyre prices have gone up right accross the board in the last year or so, as has parts. and by quite some way.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Along with all other raw materials it's all going up. The only thing cheap and in abundance is ignorance

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Everything has gone up, fuel is through the roof! Wages stay the same tho......

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. A good set of tyres will cost around the £220/240 mark online plus fitting at extra cost for the standard 120/180 size hoops.
    Perhaps the price increase's because it's a 190 rear section.:thinkingface:but as the above comment says, everything's going through the roof pricewise these days.
    Maybe they're making up for lost revenue with the Covid-19 economy slapper.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. car parts started rising in 2016/17. pre covid. and very noticable when the statements come in at the end of every month. when i challenged my main suplier about it early 2017 they told me within several months of that vote 18 product ranges had increased their prices by 4% on average. i'm only small in comparison but i'm still about 10k a month on parts alone. just this last month i have decided to pass it on plus upped my labour rate to cover the increased cost of every thing.

12. If we keep paying, they’ll keep putting them up.

race tyres are even sillier than they already were now. And they were already ridic

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Thanks for the link @Nasher , it seems like the Michelin road 5s are one of the more expensive tyres, a set here is £276
    I see that they have the Metzeler M9rr on sale at £233 per pair, really good price that and the M9rr’s are getting some pretty good write ups, might give a set of them a go next time :upyeah:

14. There is a lot of BS around tyre choice, unless you are going to rag the guts out of your tyres, lower priced tyres will almost certainly out perform your ability.
    I had Porsche’s for 8 years and run them on Avon ZR5 tyres, a lot less than Pirelli’s or continentals.
    And never had an issue with them, and they lasted longer.
    Emperors new clothes comes to mind with some of the marketing for car and bike parts and accessories.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Everyones lashed their prices up over lockdown the greedy bastids.
    £21 for 2 medium kebabs and one portion of chips from my local this week.
    £3 delivery
    £2 tip for the driver

Fkn nuts :joy:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • WTF WTF x 1
  16. I bought a set of N rated 18" Michelin PS2's for my 944 turbo around 7 years ago, and the same tyres a year ago. The last set were over £150 cheaper. Both sets were manufactured within 6 months of the purchase. If there's a tyre that's cheaper, grips better, and lasts longer, I want to know about it.

17. someone will be along soon to point out it's another upshot of some significant political and geographical issues that have taken place in the last 24 months resulting in prices across the board going up, e.g. wood has nearly doubled in price..

• Like Like x 1
  18. All down to choice really the ZR5's did all I required of them, and like most Porsche drivers did not spare the beans.
    only a couple of times had the PASM light come on, but I also had this with the Pirelli's.
    N ratings for Porsche tyres, in my view is just a means to screw a few more pounds out of the owners.

19. Yeah but tyre choice is much more important on a bike than on a tin can

Do Not Sell My Personal Information