1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What 250cc Bike For An 87 Year Old

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by CRYSTALJOHN, Sep 6, 2019.

1. I have a friend who has just decided to stop riding his Kawasaki SX1000 as he is finding it a bit heavy to move in and out of the garage, and a bit cumbersome at walking pace speed.

He's decided that he would like a lighter bike, something around 250cc ,and I would like to help him with choosing a replacement bike. I have no knowledge of whats available in that engine size.

Any ideas of what to consider welcome.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. My advice would be to accompany him down to a multi franchise dealer to sit on a few bikes to test seat height/weight distribution,that's the first port of call.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. That's a great suggestion @drax dave I had no idea BMW made bikes like that.

Looks really good too. I used to have a KTM 390 Duke that looks similar. That was a light as a feather, only reason I didn't think that was suitable was it was too highly tuned and really needed to have it's neck wrung to get the best out of it.

At 159kg , much lighter than the Kwacker too!

Cheers.

4. Will he be able to ride the bike without feeling he has made a mistake when he wants the power to overtake?

Close to his wants as basic as you've described them?

KTM RC 390 147kg

https://www.ktm.com/en/supersport/rc-390/

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. That's a good suggestion @XH558 , thanks. I seldom read any of the motorcycle publications so don't keep up with whats available in that area of the market.

• Like Like x 1
  6. X7 with clip ons...
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Thanks @noobie I have an 89 year old friend who owns a KTM RC 390. I sold him a Powertronics power commander to fit to it last year as he was taking part in the 'Wings and Wheels' extravaganza at Dunsfold aerodrome last year and was keen to wring a bit more power out of it. I had a go on it , managed to get 107mph out of the little thing, great little bike if you are a young boy racer, not what he's after though.

8. I was looking through many of the 250's from trials, adventure, retro and sports and most seem to be restricted in a way to meet the A2 restricted power/licence market, so most will only be close to that 100mph top speed. Does he have a preferred style do you know?

9. Fantic Caballero, 125, 250 or 500. Lightweight and easy to live with.

59EA9233-6D37-488D-858A-1E7A6850C891.png

• Like Like x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Love You Love You x 1
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. @noobie Top speed is not an issue for him. He does occasionally ride to Norfolk from West Sussex, and would like to continue to do so as long as he is able to.

Main thing is the bike is lighter than the heavy Kwacker. An upright comfortable riding position befitting a chap of his age is what he's looking for.

• Like Like x 1
  11. like that!

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Enfield Himalaya!

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. 400 scrambler?

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. We hired one of those on Rhodes this year. The new 650 interceptor that i wanted to try had been delayed being registered due to the slow Greek paperwork system. Trouble is it had a shipping container on the back!
    Enjoyed it, but a bit primative!

B6FE5972-FF83-4EA4-A0A1-095A8EFD0A0A.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  15. I hope to hell I'm still riding and able to ride at this age! Kudos!
    Grant

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  16. @Itsamonster How was the front brake on the Himalayan you rode recently?

I took a test ride recently on one in the U.K and found the front brake bleeding useless, unlike the rear brake that I could; and indeed did, out of desperation ,lock the rear wheel with on a couple of occasions.

I think that issue could probably be resolved with a pad change though.

17. I know what you mean. Maybe a bit wooden in feel. Certainly not brembo esque.
    To be honest we were just pottering along in holiday gear ( like you swear you’ll never do. Shorts and a vest. Not flip flops though! )
    Was very vibey, even at moderate rpm.
    Cheap and cheerful.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information