1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

V4 What A P*** Take

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by iang27, Oct 11, 2019.

1. A mate of mine is looking to sell his V4 and fancies a new Hypermotard SP so has been in touch with several dealers to try and do a deal.
    It’s a 19/19 bike with 2500 miles, standard. He paid nearly £20k

I told him to get in touch with Ducati Manchester as they seem a good bunch when I have dealt with them.
    The offer they made was a total p*** take, and insult really, £13,500 and that was in part exchange !!!

Other dealers offered £15k which is more reasonable, another £500 and he would do the deal but for them to offer £13500 is pathetic, or pure greed.
    They obviously just don’t want it so offer a low baller as no one in their right mind would take that.

2. I guess the VAT drop makes it worth no more than 16k, too many PCP deals around for the dealers to make better money on.

Agree 13.5k is a piss poor offer

3. If he doesn't take the £15k he will soon struggle to get £13500 anywhere - jump on the deal!
    It's simply a business decision, one which any of us would probably make - dependent on current stock, they can't store (stock) everyone's bike for fun :thinkingface:

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Drama Queen Drama Queen x 1
  4. Used market is weak to be fair

5. A new V4R for £29K ……………………………. :eyes:

So that makes this a good px then? As that's a £6k saving on a new bike :blush:

6. It's " The Motor Trade " .

They are not our friends .
    They have an agenda , and our best interest is not on it ,
    but they will pretend that it is , until the paperwork is done , and they have the cash .

The notions of customer satisfaction , loyalty , and repeat business seem to have gone out with B&W TV .

Oops .... that may come across as a tad cynical .... sorry !
    :)

#6 oldtech, Oct 11, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 8
  7. It's not a piss take, it's what the bike is worth to them, there's no emotion In it, they are working on the basis that the only way they have a cats in hells chance of selling it this side of next season is if it's cheap, and to sell it cheap they have to buy it cheap, they may also have many others, Ducati Manchester are a respected outfit, and truth be told, I'd not offer him much more.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 1
  8. They also have my V4S (or did have when I last checked) at a ridiculously low margin (IMHO) above what I PX'd it for against the Pani R. I was genuinely surprised at the low margin they are operating of and that is before any haggling by the new buyer.

9. That was painfull

10. Suppose best option is to buy used rather than take the hit, but the market needs to sell new bikes. Catch 22

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Winters coming, they are unlikely to up their offer.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. If the OP`s mate is convinced it is worth much more why not sell it privately so he can satisfy himself he is correct and be quids in ? With luck he will then also be in a better position to do a deal on the new hyper.
    That aside if someone asked me the fastest way to lose money on a bike I would think buying a brand new model not long after launch , keeping it a few months and then offering it to a dealer when the best selling season has ended and they are becoming more available second hand, would come pretty close to the top of the list.

#12 dukesox, Oct 11, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 12
  13. Yep .... scuff up the tyres , put a few miles on the clock and you are the proud owner of a used bike ...... :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Invest in the older motorcycles and watch the money come back to you over a period of time as opposed to the other way round is my advice.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  15. If he gets 15k then it's only cost him 2 quid/mile :thinkingface: what do Uber charge

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. at least they made you an offer. it seems the 848evo sc wasnt worth making one on.

17. I know that especially at this time of year it is a buyers market, done that at this time of year myself both selling and buying.

I was just saying that about five other dealers offered £14500-£15k and it was just this one price that was in question which made me think they didn’t want it. Had some already or as mentioned buy cheap/sell cheap.

He wanted £15.5k for it ideally so it would be a cheap bike in a private sale, in fact the cheapest I could see when I looked..

He has since been ‘guaranteed’ £15k next year against a Hyper SP from a dealer who didn’t want his bike now but would in March/April. Whether they honour that come spring is another matter. They said prices will be higher then. Probably a price rise as well !

• Like Like x 3
  18. Aye - see, my offer was above market value :innocent:

19. Or see Post #5 and buy new but cheaper :bucktooth:

20. 8k was a fair offer .but it wasnt for sale. i could of gone for a supersport earlier in the year, but that ship has sailed.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information