1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Back Protector?…?

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by BB1000, Sep 6, 2021.

1. So I got myself a Dainese Laguna Seca 4 two piece, fantastic fit great quality …. but …. no pocket for a back protector, I have a mantis for my one piece but this don’t fit very well as it’s longer than the two piece jacket
    Anyone got a similar Dainese two piece? What back protector did you use?
    TIA

2. I have a Dainese Santa Monica perforated jacket and there's no pocket for a back protector either. I use a Forcefield Extreme Harness Flite. Granted this is an old design which I purchased when it was current, there is now an updated range. Though I'm quite happy with my older model, fits well under the Dainese jacket. You can get versions with shoulder and elbow protection too but as the jacket, like yours, already has armour in these areas just the chest and back protector is all I need.

Two friends have had serious accidents wearing these, one body slammed a pickup truck in a near head-on and the other hit a tree. Both survived and I felt that the FF harness contributed to that.

• Like Like x 2
  3. You could try the Knox Micro Lock Air.
    Whatever you use with a two piece is likely to be longer than the leather jacket but i just tuck mine into the waist of the trousers.
    The Knox is very light, not too thick and breathes well. I have had the Forcefields but they do tend to make my back sweat too much.
    https://www.planet-knox.com/product/micro-lock-air-back-protector-mk2/

• Like Like x 1
  4. Thanks, the Knox is what I’ve been looking at

5. Airbags are coming down in price, and autumn is often the time to find a bargain. Reputable retailers like Sportsbikeshop and Bikestop can clear stock on eBay, sometimes at a considerable discount.

M&P sells that Forcefield Extreme Flite harness for £240, but an extra £100 would buy an InMotion (Furygan or Ixon) airbag from Sportsbikeshop.

Incidentally, I've seen numerous uncertified airbags on eBay. Unfortunately, these phoneys seem to be increasing (e.g. products sold as motorcycle airbags that are CE-certified life vests :eek:). eBay, as usual, does nothing about them.

#5 Freerange_egg, Sep 8, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2021
  6. My first back protector was a Knox stowaway. It's similar to the micro lock air a couple of posts back as far as the general design goes but it rolled up so I used it as a pillow when camping. I came off on a bend, low sided, about 50/60 mph and rolled down the road. I can remember thinking to myself "this back protector is really good". No injuries or bruising so I was glad I had it on.
    I kept using it and a couple of years later at the NEC show I got a good deal on the knox stand for a new waist coat style one similar to their current track vest. It was heavily discounted as they had changed colours for the following year.
    It can get warm especially in the 20°c+ heat wave recently had here in Scotland but I'm usually wearing a goretex jacket, it's nice with a vented one. The velcro adjustment still works and it's probably around 7 years old now.
    Just get one you're comfortable with.

https://www.planet-knox.com/product/track-vest/

7. I’ve got the Ixon airbag vest. Not had to use it, thankfully, but my pal Mark used his Ixon vest when we were in Scotland a few weeks ago. It worked :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Vests are getting better and cheaper. Technology marches on. If your budget stretches, get a vest :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Indeed, high-quality airbags are available at increasingly lower prices. It's not for trackdays, I know, but Sportbikeshop sells the RST Axiom jacket for around £210. That price includes the waterproof textile jacket (AA certified) with an integrated InMotion airbag.

10. Not necessarily off topic but I’m surprised RST are only using Level 1 armour in that jacket and the InMotion back protector is also, only Level 1. I know the Helite wear over air bag waistcoat is not liked by some but the back protector on the Turtle 2 is Level 2. Is that RST jacket manufactured to a budget and marketed at small motorcycle/scooter riders ? Andy

11. Oddly, level 1 protectors turn up in all sorts of garments where you'd expect level 2. Numerous Dainese jackets and pants often have level 1 armour – even at the more expensive end of the range. Ditto for some Astars and Spidi one-piece suits (not always but some of them).

What's more, not all but most of Dainese's level 2 back protectors are only Central Back, not Full Back. Price doesn't always reflect protection – the devil's in the CE-certification detail.

There’s an upgrade to CE Level 2 for the back protector in InMotion systems. Klim sells it:
    https://www.klim.com/Airbag-Vest-Compatible-D3O-Level-2-Back-Protector-3326-000

[​IMG]

12. Wife bought me the Helite Airbag vest,

It's fits well, don't know it's there once you set off, a bit of a pain to keep remembering to attach the cord, which I had to replace at a cost of £25 when it melted(the one attached to the bike) in brief contact with the engine.
    They also now do a cordless one, but still a bit pricey.
    I'd have preferred black myself.

Fortine did a good review on youtube:

SP.

13. Unlike RyanF9, I have worn and lived with an airbag for a while. He's entertaining to watch, but I disagree with his review. For instance, he swiftly dismisses the Tech-Air system because electronic airbags need charging. I have never found recharging the slightest issue, and airbag batteries last 25+ hours of riding. In contrast, it can be a pain to remember to attach the cord on the Helite that RyanF9 recommends.

Now you know she didn't just marry you for the life insurance ;)

#13 Freerange_egg, Sep 29, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. No, she just want's to prolong my suffering :D
    And you right about remembering to attach it, the new cordless with GPS and accelerometer are the way to go.

SP.

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information