1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Car? Diesel, Petrol, Hybrid, Leccy?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by West Cork Paul, Dec 8, 2018.

1. I've a 2016 VW Tiguan Sport 2.0 Diesel which will be 3 years old in March '19 and the PCP plan expires so got to decide what to do. A big part of me says diesels are f**ked; sales have dropped off a cliff and residuals are falling through the floor so, despite the fact 90% of vehicles on the road in Ireland are Diesel I'm loath to replace it with another diesel, as I suspect that in 3 years time, despite the fact I'll get a good deal now, as manufacturers want to shift their diesel stock, I'll be stuck with something that's impossible to shift and if i do another PCP deal I'll be the loser.

I'm thinking Hybrid has a limited future as well because IMO it's really a fudge to get around emissions and in the real world it runs on the petrol engine most of the time.

Environmentally, I'd like to go fully electric, ..... but just not sure. Still suffering from 'range anxiety'. Also, are they really that environmentally friendly? Also, the choice is shite here in Ireland. However, here in Ireland there are big grants available at the mo for EVs; up to €5000 against the purchase of the car and €1000 for the charger at home - seems a shame to pass up on that as I bet they won't be available in a couple of years time.

So, what would you do?

Here's my (our, SWMBO & I, situation).

We have one main car between us, which SWMBO uses most, plus an old van (and the bikes).

Typically the car does;
    Sunday - 10Km
    Monday - 10Km
    Tuesday - 50Km
    Wed - 50Km
    Thurs - 50Km
    Fri - 80Km
    Sat - 25Km

Once every fortnight there may be a 250km round trip to Cork and back.
    4 times a year there may be a 1000km journey over a 3-4 day weekend
    Once a year there may be a 2500km journey over a week or two.

Most journeys (apart from the latter two above) are on rural roads - no motorways.

Would you go fully electric now?

2. Don’t you set the final price when setting up the pcp? If so it shouldn’t give you any surprises in 3 years time should you go with a diesel again.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. No! Buy diesel 1 to 3 years old and save a packet - then buy another bike (also not electric :bucktooth:)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Audi rs4 :D

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Naff all wrong with diesel or petrol. Electric in maybe 20 years. Funny how the vehicles used in transportation, haulage etc are diesel.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. There are still a good few years left in diesels and I'm not entirely convinced electric isn't the new diesel lie

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. I'd go bat.
    707395.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  8. Or prehistoric club. Either or.

9. If you buy with PCP you have a guaranteed monthly payment and end cost so you know now

They have dropped (not completely) the 2.0 diesel in some VW / Seat / Skoda models

Out or current group I think their Skoda Karoq is best value in SEL but they have now not got 2.0 in 4 x4 auto

Also consider PCH if you always swap

I have just switched to the contract hire (well 15 months ago)

It’s a fixed cost rental with deposit

Choose whether you want to swap at 1 2 3 or 4 years at beginning and your mileage approx per year

Really no different to PCP except you never own it and the monthly rentals can be less as it can be more tax efficient for manufacturer / dealer

But I would just stay with Petrol or Diesel for now

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Id buy a roughly 3 year old car, just off PCP, something German, like a VW Tiguan (maybe a sport model?). Pay cash then don't have to worry about balloon payments, deposits, limited mileage or the odd little bump or scrape. Extract the maximum number of miles from it over the next 30 years and use this huge saving as an excuse to 'invest' in another motorcyle every three years.......

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. I telt him that too :bucktooth:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Hah! Didn't read. All my time on here is taken up trying to catch up on the 'other' thread that grows ten pages every time I log in..

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. I've gone diesel - because of the fear factor, you can get great deals on them and if you buy, you can run it for as long as you want without worrying about mileage/condition.

A three year old diesel BMW like a 640d would be my choice :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Unless is a van/large minubus and mostly used on motorways I wouldn't buy a diesel in 2019.
    Plug in hybrid, get the best of both worlds. 4hours charge from mains should give you 20-40km range.
    If 4x4 is a must then Mitsubishi Outlander should cover most of your trips in ElectricVehicle mode.
    If 4x4 is irrelevant:
    1. You do not care about how it feels to drive or looks.... IMHO the best out there is the Toyota Prius PHEV.
    2. You do care how it drives and looks are important, then Mercedes C, E Class
    Sunday - 10Km EV
    Monday - 10Km EV
    Tuesday - 50Km 2/3 EV
    Wed - 50Km 2/3 EV
    Thurs - 50Km 2/3 EV
    Fri - 80Km 1/3 EV
    Sat - 25Km EV

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. My wife loves her new rs4.
    And so do I.
    Get one
    Of them cos you offset the fuel usage by getting everywhere quicker lol.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  16. buy out the deal and run it into the ground.
    decide in 5-8 years time when there is more certainty.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. I don't know why you are worried? You will be in the same boat as hundreds of thousands as PCP are 90% of car sales these days?
    You either get of this boat and buy your own car and make your own choice or take the risk as you say?
    No one can guess what is going to happen with cars for certain in the next 5 years, all we do know is that we will still need vehicles with whatever propulsion system that the government can extract huge amounts of tax from. Do you think Britain cuts it's emissions by 10% will have any impact on the world when you consider Americans have no such policies regarding their cars or household emissions.
    I thought cows give out more CO2 than my Landie doeso_O

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. Have a look at the Outlander PHEV. Mine is mainly used for sub 25 mile daily driving so is pure EV on those trips. Set the timer up and the car is pre-heated or cooled whilst on charge before any journey thus saving range charge. We fuel it once every six weeks as we do a number of motorway trips each week. The tank is not huge about £45 to fill. I also run a Focus 1.0 Ecoboost 125. This gives impressive mpg and the performance of a bigger car.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. I have a Volvo XC60 T8 Hybrid, 400+ BHP, battery range 25 miles ish, so far to date over varied driving 57.6 MPG over 9k miles, if you are going to do majority of motorway at above speed limit, then don't get one.

Al I can say, it is a fantastic all round car, handles well, drives like a kitten, until you put it in power mode :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. You could always buy an electric vehicle for your normal runs and hire a suitable one for your occasional longer trips. Or buy a year old large petrol engined vehicle and convert it to LPG.
    I used to enjoy getting 40mpg equivalent out of a 4.6 litre engine.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information