1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

848 Updated.. What Do You Buy A 10 Year Old 848 For Its Birthday (& How Much Power Does It Make?)

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Pavsta, Feb 11, 2019.

1. I finally clicked with the bike after doing half a dozen trackdays last year. It’s an ‘08 848 and came to me a bit track ready (fairings, EVR slipper clutch, quickshifter, rearsets and a couple of other little bits and bobs).

It was great but felt a bit slow to turn. Taking sage advice (experienced friend rode it and said it was ‘like a plank’) I decided to get the suspension done. I’ve never had suspension set up for my weight and always wanted to try it. Spoke to the helpful guys at HM Racing and decided on fork service with new pistons, springs and a new shock.

That was the start of the slippery slope. I’d been somewhat unnerved by flapping bars over the rise after Surtees at Brands, so wanted a steering damper. But that’s not straightforward on the first 848s, there’s no thread in the headstock or mount on the frame (and I don’t like those ones that mount on the fork top). But if you spend enough time on the internet.. you can find and import a special bracket from the US and as luck would have it, get a suitable triple clamp right here via the forum - thanks Phil748.

So with damper added to the order for KTech bits, that was the suspension sorted.

The brakes had felt a little weak at the lever and another ‘encouraging’ friend said if you’re doing the suspension you should do the brakes. Best money you’ll ever spend. Friends are helpful aren’t they, particularly if they’re not paying. Conveniently HM had a Brembo RCS Corsa master cylinder in stock.

There was something amiss though. The bike had standard cans. Great for noise testing but it didn’t sound like a Ducati should. I’ve always just had end cans before but a stroke of fleabay luck, a titanium Leo Vince full system came up. Looked like new but at half the price. Thanks to Pete at Pro Twins.

I had a go at fitting it but the original header nuts were looking pretty tired.
    Took a trip to Alec at Ducati Proteam. He is the nicest most knowledgable Ducati mechanic you could wish to meet. If you need a service in Kent/London area I highly recommend giving him a call.

Exhaust sorted, fuelling not. Thought about getting a DP ECU or remapping the standard one at Moto Rapido, bit far for me though. Then discovered Bazzaz do a combined fuelling and traction control module (sort of traction control - works off engine speed), aforesaid mate has one and said ‘better than nothing if it goes wrong!’ Fair enough.

Then, thinking I was done and chatting it over with my old boss who first got me into this sports bike caper, he asks if I am doing a 520 chain and dropping a tooth on the front and going one up on the back. Compared to everything else, once I got the quote it seemed like a bargain.

So to get back to the thread title, there’s my list of what you get a ten year old 848 for its birthday. Maybe it would have been more sensible to sell it and put the funds into an 899, but I had one before and a a trellis frame and underseat pipes were missing. Each to their own.

If you’ve read this far you deserve to know the dyno numbers. With the standard ECU and full system it was 123bhp, with custom mapping on the Bazzaz it was 127bhp. Not too bothered about the numbers, it’s how everything comes together I’m looking forward to finding out. The sound is as you would imagine, joyous.

I’ll find out what it’s like to ride in Jerez in two weeks time. I can’t wait.

Cheers,
    Pav

Ps. forgot to mention the starter cable set - thanks to Exige!

53E3286A-8909-464B-962E-140777D4E501.jpeg

FFD6B486-600D-4A82-B59A-4B42F0463561.jpeg

B5ACAA7D-8E28-4BEC-B4B0-1388976D733F.jpeg

340F23C1-D3BE-41C8-B5C5-D808EB4CDA7D.jpeg

6A68B009-3C64-40C9-B163-F878DCB87084.jpeg

15F1CBB1-4111-4CE3-B9D0-7D71C9452E9E.jpeg

00C95A3C-E589-440C-9511-01E876125039.jpeg

8F3999FC-FEE7-4C8E-9195-06F936A042E8.jpeg

9CC5F934-AA3C-4B9B-B58B-E5A37C0C104C.jpeg

6AB44E13-610C-4F8A-A468-9A8926CCDEFE.jpeg

#1 Pavsta, Feb 11, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    • Like Like x 10
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Forgot the blingy pic!

62B99C3D-B7C5-40DE-A87D-19E358208C63.jpeg

• Like Like x 5
  3. Engine blue print next then??

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Some lovely looking graphs Pav.

5. Yeah would like to do something with the engine. Though that’s when the £££s can really add up for what you get back. Did wonder whether lighter flywheel and lighter belt rollers / pulleys plus cam timing setup might be a starting point.

Or is it biting the bullet on some carbon wheels..

6. Carbon Wheels :):upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Even the exhausts look in the right place in the middle

8. Liking this bike!
    Old al at pro team is a diamond ain't He?
    ( shit! I shouldn't call him old, he gets on this sight now an then!!)

9. Wouldn't bother with carbon wheels myself. Very nice, but so easy to damage.
    M4 calipers would be a worthy upgrade.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. @Pavsta lovely looking bike!

Are they CRC race fairings?

11. Yeah sort the brakes I reckon, hpk calipers and T drive discs with zo4 pads?? :D

12. Whats the RCS? 19 or 16?

13. Lovely bike. My 848 Evo has started slowly on a similar journey, I've got Helibars to sort the riding position (previously tried the speedymoto top clamp like you have) and I've had the Ohlins shock re-valved and an adjustable ride hieght bar in the rear, that's made a huge difference to how it rides.

Otherwise it has slash cut termi pipes and DP ECU and while I don't think it's making the same power my old 848 Evo made with a Moto Rapido Map, the fuelling is much 'softer' off closed throttle and gives a little more confidence.

Next on the list for me is front suspension, and a better steering damper and Slipper clutch (if I keep doing trackdays on it).

If it stays as a road bike I'm going to get some OZ wheels for it next winter, I don't think they save loads of weight looking at the figures (unless you get the GASS ones) but it's a vanity thing tbh.

Finally, I think you are at a point where the 899 isn't really an upgrade for you, other than electronics, honestly I've had a sorted 899 and 848 either side and both have their plus points but the 899 engine is more frustrating

• Like Like x 1
  14. @Phill748 Definately go for wheels. If you ride something that already came with light wheels youll have no point of reference...ride something for a length of time with heavy wheels and youll see the difference and then some. My only gripe with buying light marchesini wheels for my z1000 was that i didnt go more expensive and get lighter wheels again...as the difference was incredible...

15. 19 RCS, can see it if you zoom in on the picture. I think 16 RCS is aimed at monodisc. I put one on the Ape a couple of months back. I pulled the trigger on a hydraulic to wire clutch conversion last week, being delivered today

16. Phenomenal looking bike @Pavsta After seeing yours I might go down the 848 route after the RRV (Not this season though)
    Keep posting the pics buddy :)

17. Just wondered as i couldnt picture the size of the pistons on those calipers...so, yeah definately a set of m4's or above...ive got hpk's on my z1000 and the braking is epic. Ive got the stock master cylinder but toying with an RCS...

18. Yup - decent and affordable upgrade.
    Still OEM on the S'thou I believe.
    I wouldn't invest in engine work personally.
    If you want/need more power buy a bigger bike, or fit a bigger engine.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Yep that’s them. Painted by Apache race paint.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information