1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

848 Updated.. What Do You Buy A 10 Year Old 848 For Its Birthday (& How Much Power Does It Make?)

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Pavsta, Feb 11, 2019.

1. It should be very 'bitey' depending on your perception. Compared to most other bikes I've ridden the brakes are super strong on my 848, never needing more than 1/2 fingers for initial pull. I would say well bled and decent fluid and they should be great.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Sorry - I dont mean to really derail the OPs thread.

But, I think what I note with these is that the progression of bite is somewhat slower than I like. I can do a one finger stop at slow city speeds, so there is plenty of power. But I think I would prefer a steeper ramp.

3. Quick update in case anyone is interested. Just back from 2 days at Jerez and 2 at Almeria back to back.

Hard to say which of the upgrades made the most difference but it really is like a different bike, now feels like it ‘works’. Total confidence in front end and brakes, much quicker out of corners and ride quality spot on. I knocked 8secs off my best Almeria lap time (the R11 Tyres made a big difference to be fair). It was so stable on long corners it felt like I could take my hands off the bars. Amazing. Only problem was it still doesn’t exactly want to turn, been advised to take the ride height up a bit. Going to try that next.

Here’s a photo and short ride by at Jerez, the full system sounds lovely..

Ps. If anyone hears of a 1098 engine for sale let me know.

D7422C23-6F4D-4136-8A05-F6E756FF318F.jpeg

• Like Like x 7
  4. If you are looking for 848/1098 suspension set up notes to help turning faster, then Dan Kyle's guide has been added on here before with info for setups from stock, to ohlins with 30mm offsets and a flat rate rear linkage. That said there is a lot of 848 cup experience out there in lots of ducati workshops as well....

I'm going to use the Kyle set up as a starting point when my 848 gets built up over the next month so i've got everything measured as a base and go from there.

My first track day is in June though, so if you get a chance to try anything then let me know how you get on!

https://www.ducatiforum.co.uk/attachments/dan-kyle-suspension-notes-pdf.89447/

5. Finally got round to sorting the chipped fork bottoms out.. and with time on my hands decided to polish rather than paint them.

A shout out for Podium Racing, shiny bits at reasonable prices. And for the weight saving nerds amongst us, a titanium 848 axel is 137g lighter than standard.

B8D33575-432C-46C6-944B-35F4D3901C48.jpeg

C024A2A8-112B-4A73-B75C-920344878CD1.jpeg

FCB15BCB-6ABB-4381-871D-2B29CBD4B51A.jpeg

24A34415-F4B9-4EBB-A4D5-5F4EBC588C31.jpeg

0DAC72B4-C539-4D29-B939-460B949FB219.jpeg

4E73F73E-DF06-4DE5-8029-E1BB96B79697.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Hmm not sure why photos are wrong way round.

7. Just got this ex-Trioptions back from PGP Eastleigh. Suspension, brakes, belts, clearances, oil, filters, light-weight rear sub-frame, carbon belt covers, and new SCs. Was on the stillage for Portimao this weekend, but never left Pulborough.

IMG_2005.JPG

IMG_2006.JPG

IMG_2008.JPG

IMG_2009.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  8. Shouldn’t that be upright... 929BC6C1-CE20-4AC8-88CE-9C6A375E7403.jpeg

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Great thread and just what I was looking for as I'm looking for inspiration on what to do next to my 848.

Where did you end up getting the steering damper bracket from?
    Do you know the make of the triple clamps?

10. Bracket: https://motowheels.com/i-7578955-corse-dynamics-848-steering-damper-bracket.html
    Triple clamp from Phil748, it's this Speedy Moto one: https://motowheels.com/i-6921146-sp...-4-of-added-height-to-the-stock-clip-ons.html

Lovely bike @Paul55, one day we will be on track again!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Got the wheels on finally. Had been waiting on an NCR sprocket flange from Italy since January. Lost in transit apparently so decided to polish the standard one. Bit blingy maybe but quite like it. Handlebar switches next I think.

B42A4E2C-CACD-4306-A6C1-63AF84DBB055.jpeg

1086DD62-6AAF-45E1-9430-868D615FAE27.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
    • WTF WTF x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Lovely bike mate. Some tasty bits on it. What's the difference between ktech and ohlins? The bike I put a deposit on has ktech suspension setup and I'm wondering if that's a sign it was tracked. It's a 848 evo se. To be honest if it was tracked I don't want it even if its sold by ducati Manchester.

13. Why would you not buy it if it's been on the track? As long as it's not been crashed or abused it shouldn't be a problem.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. I’m no expert to be honest. I took advice from HM Racing who generally fit ktech and I’ve been happy with the results. I think Ohlins can get a bit more expensive but it’s mainly about getting the right springs for your weight and a good set up.

I guess number of people who bother doing ktech upgrade for road might be a bit lower than Ohlins, doesn’t have quite the same shiny factor. I had the full Ohlins 748R and it was a lovely thing to behold.

If it’s a mint bike with good history knowing it had been on track wouldn’t worry me too much, they’re built to do it. Personal choice and all that.

15. Yeah I guess it was me thinking that I don't want a bike that's spent half of its life near the limiter but I guess other factors do matter and at the end of the day it is a bike made for the track.

From what I can gather the bike is immaculate, was owned by one of Ducati service guys dad. It has some nice upgrades to it along with FSH and continously services. It's just had new tyres belts and had valves checked. I'll appreciate it if anyone knows abit more history of the bike. Its been to p3 and went on the dyno I'll post the video here found it on YouTube.

I've also included pictures of the shocks. I'm led to believe that's it's had front forks changed and rear suspension done both with ktech. I'm not sure but I think the rear is a ktech 35DDS lite.

Thanks for getting back to me though.
    DSCF0060.JPG DSCF0061.JPG DSCF0066.JPG
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  16. That corse is lovely, the only thing spoiling it for me is those Zard pipes but each to their own.

17. That's a very nice bike. Agree about the pipes. I do wish people would fit under fairing crash bungs though. Those must have meant taking a drill to an otherwise perfect fairing. Couldn't do it myself!

18. I know tell me about it, but it is what it is and I guess the advantage is if I do come off (touch wood I don't) the fairings won't disintegrate in a million pieces

Do Not Sell My Personal Information