1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 What Glue For Plastics

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Mark_h, Sep 16, 2019.

1. My stoneguard lost it's lower bolt after a service. This caused it to wobble which in turn has cracked one of the upper bolt holes. For now I've juts taken it all off. However if ever I put it back on again I need to repair the upper bolt hole to stop it from falling off again and possibly wedging itself in the back wheel. I wat going to de-grease everything and then try aralditing a washer to the plastics to give it some structural strength. Anyone ever tried anything like this before? Any thoughts on the glue most likely to work with this sort of plastic?

Alternatively anyone got a spare stone guard and some of the special bolts for a 2013/14 1200s for sale?

2. Araldite would likely work very well - anything epoxy-based.

3. Q bond

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Yes James?

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. 81l239I2eQL._SX355_.jpg untitled.png

• Face Palm Face Palm x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  6. Notes Coin? I don't get it?

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  7. Moneypenny

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Gorilla glue is good too

9. Pram fat might work, sticks sheets together quite well. It might not work but it might be fun finding out? :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. I'm currently trying out some UV activated adhesive. You apparently can sand and shape it after it has cured.

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. Sounds very much like what dentists use for fillings .....
    .... have you got a link ?

I'm interested to find out how the repair turned out ..... thanks

12. i'm glad you posted and it got some interest R.M. - I tried to find my old threads using Plastech (as one of the several alternatives was branded 10 years ago) but without luck. I made the complete attachment lug for the rear fixing on a 748 blah nosecone - you know, the one that breaks off if the owner experiences a "red bull" moment. It worked a treat and was intact on the bike approx a year later when I sold it.

EDIT - this and similar products might be facing a "volatile liquid in the post" ban now.

https://www.wemoto.com/parts/picture/hl-994805

#15 Chris, Sep 17, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. I've just seen Q bond mentioned in another thread for a fairing repair .
    Looking online , I noticed that it has some filler , which is what I need .

How does it hold up long term ?

I need to knuckle down this winter and repair all the little cracks , and a few bust lugs that got "fixed" over the past 10 years or more .

I want to do the best job I can , and there's no shortage of products ,
    and they certainly all " talk a great game " in their promo stuff .

But I'd prefer to trust the experiences of members on here .... :)

#17 oldtech, Sep 18, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information