1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

848 What If No Second Key And Code Card?

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by RC1, Sep 28, 2018.

1. i know there various options so keen to know:

1. what you did/would do (do nothing is not an option at least for me!)
    2. how much it cost/might cost

im in the market for an 848 and not all have the code card and second key

i know the key can be cloned from another key but the code requires dash to be removed and sent to 'a guy'

ive no idea what the risk of potential for collateral damage is when removing the dash is but is this something that a dealer or indy could do?

i understand that there is no dealer or central store for the key codes and immob code so once the code card is lost its lost?

2. I can loan you a device that will clone a key. No need to send the dash off. Have blank keys as well.

• Like Like x 10
  3. At the head of the pack for the forum stalwart award still Chris :upyeah: Andy

• Like Like x 2
  4. nice one chris... they key bit is the easy one i thought? its the code for the immob. can that code be reproduced?

5. It can be recovered but is not a cheap process. I have had immo equipped DUCATI’s since 2001 and have never needed to use the immo bypass code on any of them.

6. thanks chris - i agree its highly unlikely but its a bargaining chip. what would you budget for the job and are there any trustworthy outfits or are you able to? happy to move to PM or call if easier

7. The only guy I would trust is in Oz. He has a Facebook listing under Riderlogic. He has done code recovery for some forum members. Look him up and drop him a message. As you say, a bargaining chip not a deal breaker.

#7 chrisw, Sep 28, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2023
  8. Can they recover the code card data? I know Wayne (Riderlogic) can.

9. Bin the whole key thing and put a motec engine management system on it

10. not been able to speak to them but will grill them monday!

11. So if I have just 1 key for an 848 and no red key and no code card is it the case that I can get that key cloned @chrisw with the widget you have and some blanks I can buy off you?

12. The 848 comes with two black keys and a code card. The code card is required to program keys. The easiest and cheapest solution is to clone the current key. To avoid losing your one key it is easier and safer for me to send my key cloner and a blank rewritable key blank. The key will need cutting and I found the best people (and cheapest) to do this is a genuine locksmithing shop.

• Like Like x 1
  13. ok thanks if i buy the bike i will do what you suggest

14. Another option is to send your ECU off and have the immobilizer side of things permanently disabled, usually £150-200 and then you never have to worry about it again!

15. Immo is in the dash not ECU on the 848.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. also on my old 848, when the radar failed it wouldnt recognise the key so i had to key in the immobiliser code so i wasnt stranded- did it a couple of times mostly if it rained

17. This can be cured by inserting 1 or 2 washers between the threaded posts and the antenna shroud. This puts the transponder nearer the antenna by a couple of mm.

18. Just an update on this. The code required for coding the keys may be able to be calculated from the transponder in the key.
    The dash actually holds two bypass codes, one for each black key. The code card only shows one of these codes but both codes actually work.
    Not Got A Bypass Code Card? | Ducati Forum

#19 chrisw, Oct 13, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2023
  19. Hi Chris,
    You seem to be very knowledgeable on this topic. I am in a pickle and not making much head way to resolve. I have a 1098s with one key only. I have had a key cut and coded to match the original key but it still doesn't start the bike. It lights up the dash but brings up an additional yellow warning light which indicates a problem with the motorcycle diagnostics. I'm in N. Ireland.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information