1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Intercom And Nav

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by RC1, Aug 25, 2020.

1. ok so im gonna take the plunge and get a nav - garmin zumo?

no idea re comms. i want something that can bluetooth link to the nav but also allow me to communicate with another person on a bike if that exists?

2. Get yourself a comms unit running MESH 2.0 technology (Cardo or Sena) for a bluetooth connection to your sat nav (Garmin XT) and to talk with others. You need both so be prepared to dig deep. Andy

3. thats sounds great but i understood about 3 words

4. Bluetooth has moved on, the latest incarnation uses a technology called MESH which gives clearer transmission and more range. Both Cardo and Sena manufacture their own (licenced) version (EDITED : ) which will NOT talk to each other. You need a unit that fits your helmet. Your choice of a dedicated motorcycle sat nav (not phone based) is Garmin or Tom Tom which are the two big hitters. Both have limitations although the Garmin Zumo XT appears to be the current market favourite. You can set your comms unit to talk to your sat nav and your phone and with MESH, you can talk to anyone equally kitted within range (if you want) without having to go through another process. Both comms and sat nav are not cheap but bought together from a single retailer could get you a discount. Andy

#4 Android853sp, Aug 25, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
  5. I use a Cardo Scala G9X intercom set and have absolutely no problems at all. I also use a new Tomtom Rider for Nav....and they are truly shite. The refuse to stay connected to any IOS device, so camera's and traffic connections are not reliable. 10 outta 10 on the Scala, 3 outta ten on the Rider. (It only scores that much as its easy to plug into the bike)

6. Does this mean Sena MESH will talk to Cardo MESH and vice versa?

7. EDITED : Having done further research, my original understanding that both products use the same MESH technology is oh so very incorrect. Sena and Cardo will only talk to other products using the older Bluetooth 4 standard. Andy

#7 Android853sp, Aug 25, 2020
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. and just to put things into context, i still use a blackberry

9. @GarySN, just done a bit of searching and neither the Sena or the Cardo can use MESH to link with each other’s products. They can only using the older Bluetooth 4. F**king useless ! Sorry to have mislead you. Andy

10. Does a Blackberry have Bluetooth ? Andy

11. No worries. I don't get the thinking (other than arrogance) of keeping each manufacturer's comms proprietary. What are the chances that all your mates are going to have the same manufacturer's kit? I know there are the 'third-party' connect options, but they're always a compromise. Bluetooth is supposed to be a standard FFS!

12. I've just bought and used my garmin XT , wow , far better then my garmin sumo 390 .
    Screen is incredible , touch screen much much better and the processor makes it very quick .

I've still got a interphone f4mc so well behind but it plods on .

13. Also to consider is how your intercom attaches to your helmet; or an integral system as BMW have on their helmets.
    I have an Interphone system which I’ve stuck to the side of my C3Pro. It isn’t completely flush which is a bit annoying. As my C3 has uneven surfaces on its sides. One on my Shoei fits completely flush.

14. Asked Garmin chat people about a discount code for my 2nd 660 yesterday £74.99 nuMaps. They looked at my account & even though I have other kit 595 et cetra. They realized I'd already paid for life-time maps on my previous 660 (broke). So applied the code to my newer unit used on my beemer; zero payment!

• Like Like x 1
  15. My 2p worth.

Sena SMH10 Bluetooth headset, paired to a brand new TomTom Rider 500 just this last weekend, also paired to two others who were riding with us.

Flawless, and the one time I ignored the sat nav as the road was shut it rerouted me so quick I thought it had gone wrong, but no, sorted in milliseconds.

16. Intercoms - I have the older Interphone f4MC (with the enhanced audio option) on my Schuberth C3 Pro, also have it on an old Neotech. Excellent quality sound, neat microphone, easy to use and navigate with spoken commands.
    It's far better than my current Senna SC1 system fitted to my new Schuberth C4 Pro!

You can usually link to other riders using the 'Anycom' option for other manufacturers, but it's worth asking your mates what they use before you invest in one.

This is the updated version for Schuberth:
    https://motointercom.eu/shop/en/int...arline-pro-sound-schuberth-7426824062117.html

#16 Twin4me, Aug 25, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Have the Interphone 5 on my C3Pro with the higher spec speakers. Very happy with it.
    Can’t comment on the new Interphone stuff, but have seen it’s physically slighter bigger.

18. Recently gone MESH with a sena 30k, its good for other mesh sena users, if you have mates with Scala mesh forget it! It can be done by linking each scala with a sena as a pair then the scala guys link themselves, its a fucking ball ache, the connection is in and out like a fiddlers elbow.
    I'm looking into another solution that has huge range for those that fall behind or get lost etc, involving yer smart phone and an app! WTS
    Regarding nav, I have a cheapo car tomtom not connected to Sena. I do have Sena connected to phone for googlemaps, waze and calimoto

19. Surprised no one mentioned autocom I’ve been using them for years hard wired, only have had to adjust the earphones a few times otherwise I can talk to hwmbo on pillion listen to my music which lowers when the satnav talks to me and it’s phone connected. And excellent clarity with all.

20. Ive got an interphone f5mc (bought a pair with my mate) - brilliant - go no reason to change. i did try to pair it with my mates senna but couldnt get it to work...apparently it does...must try harder...

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information