1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Made You Buy The Hypermotard?

Discussion in 'Hypermotard' started by JenC, May 24, 2015.

1. I've always had naked bikes,and my first love was big trailies,had an NX650 which I used to instruct on,DR650 and an XL500 which was amazing fun.I then went onto road bikes,having a 1200 Bandit,Kawasaki Z1-A and a 900 Hornet.
    The first time I clapped eyes on the Hypermotard,I liked the look of it,as it was a mixture of the type of bikes I love...but totally out of my price.Then Ducati brought out the 796 and I had a chance to ride one around Silverstone,courtesy of Dunlop,on tyre testing their then new Sportsmarts and D211.
    I fell totally head over heels for the bike,the 1100 Monster and the Speed Triple I took out on previous laps were second best to the fun factor of this 796.
    I started trolling the web for any for sale to get some idea of price,7-7.5k,still way too rich for me.....until M+S Motorcycles,up in Newcastle were selling a matt black one with 35 demonstrator miles on it....managed to do a deal with them for £5700 (as they were a good customer where I worked at the time ;)) delivered to my home in Aberystywth.
    This was back in January 2011,still love the bike,the way it feels like a 125 when I sit on it,the way it handles effortlessly,thanks to the slipper clutch as standard and single-side swingarm (my then fiancé,couldn't keep up with me on the roads around Aber on his 98 streetfightered R1 :) )
    After getting Termis and having the ECU flashed,I love the bike even more,does everything I want it to do :upyeah::upyeah:.....except for those bloody mirrors,I hate them!!

#1 JenC, May 24, 2015
    Last edited: May 24, 2015
  2. For me as a recent buyer I can say that I really like this style of bike. I have had a ktm duke and a honda crm 250 in the past and have found them to be much more fun in the twisty bumpy backroads where I live. My bikes over the last 20 years have been
    kawazaki z 650 - had that for a number of years but then tried and loved
    kawazaki zxr400 - brilliant fun but was physically a bit small
    yamaha thunderace 1000 - I took that for a test ride and could not believe how quickly it accelerated
    ktm duke - wanted a bike that was fun at less than 100mph
    honda crm 250 - everone needs an offroad bike its the law
    trimph speed 4 - geat handling commuter bike
    buell lightning - allways fancied a buell, loved the bike only sold it because
    triumph speed triple - bought due to reading too many bike mags, and getting a great deal
    husky sm450r - never really liked the speed triple so thought I needed to try something silly
    ducati hypermotard 1100 - I have put a deposit down, the bike seems like a mix of all the things that I have liked in bikes that I have owned in the past.

Oh and also everyone has to own at least one ducati

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Want to get my hands on a CRM250 funnily enough,to go green-laning,perfect bike for it :)
    And ....yes! Everyone should own a Ducati in their lifetime LOL. :upyeah:

4. I wanted one as soon as I saw the sp model but thought it was way over budget so was forcing myself onto a standard 821.
    It was either this or a Mv agusta rivale, until I saw how shocking the build quality was on the mv.
    Briefly looked at a yamaha mt but it looked cheap so it was back to the Duc.
    Went into dealers and they had an sp sat there, loved it! So bought it!
    1500 miles and it still brings a massive grin to my face every time I ride it, and it's something different from another bloody sports bike

• Like Like x 1
  5. Cool :upyeah: mine still makes me grin when I ride it :) I looked at the Yam MT09 too,but like you said,cheaply built,and there's loads of them about.Done nearly 8k on mine.....still brings a grin,happy riding :upyeah:

6. Loved the old one's looks, but fancied something modern. Also being tall it's nice to have a bike that I can fit but no one else can :p

• Like Like x 1
  7. I have mirror envy :Sour:

8. Fun factor.

Had an air cooled 796 and then traded that in for the 821 SP. They look different, they look good, they go good and you get off every ride with a smile on your face. What's not to like? Apart from even at 6' 1" I'm still on tippy toes every time I come to a halt.

I'd buy another, but I don't see myself selling this one for some time to come.

Did I mention fun factor?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. TBH there's nothing out there that takes my fancy,like you say,the fun factor is immense :upyeah:

10. it looks fantastic. I just lusted after one. Once bought i am smitten. It pulls like a train.. its like riding a DT125 with the power of an R6. Most of all its mega fun.when i cant ride it i just look at it.

• Like Like x 3
  11. The mirrors are shite - crack at the drop of a hat! I've had to replace them both.

12. Even on the 821?I've purloined one of hubbies KTM mirrors and brackets for now,I only need one mirror. :upyeah:

13. I'm on my third. Love the height, handling, brakes, spec, riding position and wheelies off roundabouts.

• Like Like x 3
  14. I think I could be on my third....still trying to finish my ktm supermoto....I fancy doing the same thing to an old 1100s - (total strip down) recoat, rewire, rebuild, new clocks etc etc....

• Like Like x 3
  15. I've always loved the style of the Hyper, and also like Ducati's, my missus has a 620 Monster and I love going out on it. I've got a Yamaha XJR 1200 I've had since new ( 97 ). I was knocked off my NTV 650 last September and nearly lost my left foot. It will never be right and is taking a long time to recover, but I had to get back on a bike, and the XJR is heavy so a good reason for me to buy the Hyper. Am loving it and getting my confidence back riding again.

• Like Like x 5
  16. Good for you Mick :upyeah: and welcome to the forum :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. I was hooked from my first test ride on an 1100 in 2009. I've had the bike 6 years and have heavily modified it. Still love it.
    I have tested a Diavel, Multistrada (2014) and a Monster but the Hyper wins.

• Like Like x 1
  18. untitled.png

• Like Like x 1
  19. Just bought a red Hyper love the riding position it's great being upright after riding sports bikes for so many years. It's such a good bike great engine, excellent handling and loads of fun. Will keep the 748R as that's another great bike.

• Like Like x 2
  20. May 2010 @Silverstone.....where the love affair all started :Kiss: ducati.jpg monster.jpg

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information