1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Material To Put Between A Fork Leg And A Clamp To Protect The Surface Finish ?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Android853sp, Oct 5, 2020.

1. Whilst my V4 is being serviced at the end of the month, I have asked the workshop to fit a thumb brake. My concern is, with the metal to metal interface, if the thumb brake clamp moves at all for any reason, the anodising on the Ohlins fork will get marked which I obviously want to avoid.

Previously, I’ve used a layer of adhesive tape and a section of guttering down pipe cut to size as a solution for similar job but it is a bit Heath Robinson ish. My current thought is along the lines of using several layers of a proprietary PPF wrapped around the fork leg which the clamp won’t slip on or cut through. Any bright ideas out there in the Forum collective ? Andy

2. Just do the clamp bolt up sufficiently tight so that it doesn’t move for any reason.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Agree ^^^^
    Why would it move if it has been designed, made & installed properly? In order to keep it in place there needs to be friction between the brake clamp and the fork leg which will be altered by putting something in between the parts. If you change the diameter of the fork leg by adding tape, etc you are completely changing the design-intent contact between the two parts.

4. Have you thought of using rubber to wrap round leg ie: old inner tube rubber or the like, i've used inner tube for other things in the past and after a time removed it and it hasn't left any noticeable marks.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Plenty of people selling neoprene rubber strip on Ebay - you can even buy a sample for 99p

If there’s enough tolerance in the clamp then a 1.5mm thick piece would provide plenty of protection and not look too heath robinson.

upload_2020-10-5_14-13-32.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. I'm sure ppf or equivalent would do the job. Thin but pretty tough.

7. What stops your clip ons moving?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. * many bikes have small dowel that locates into the bottom of the top yoke to locate the clip on however I believe it is for positional reference rather than the primary means to prevent movement.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. What RickyX said. Andy

10. What make thumb brake you going for?

11. And when they dont have the pip?

12. Ok, I think more info is required here. Is your thumb brake clamp universal, or did you have to buy one to match the diameter of the fork to which it attaches. If it is universal, then some protection as suggested here is sensible. If it is matched to the fork diameter then surely there is no space for additional material and adding such will interfere with the clamp. My original answer assumed that the clamp was closely matched to the fork...

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. HEL. Andy

14. Purchaser specifies the diameter of the clamp. I have experience of using aftermarket kit requiring fitting with a clamp and I do not want to take the risk of damaging the Ohlins fitted to my Speciale. Andy

15. Not come across a bike in recent years where the clip ons haven't been 'located'. I replaced the handlebar on my 1098R and the OE replacement came with a template to drill the hole for the roll pin. Andy

16. I have clip ons with non pins. They stay put in use. You will have no issue with the amount of force put through a thumb brake.

• Like Like x 1
  17. The roll pin isn't there to stop over many stones of a ducati rider rotating the clip ons.

18. @andyb, I chose HEL because I like their kit and I have worked with them before on my 1098R. They will be making up a brake line to go from the thumb brake m/c to the ABS manifold (shortest route) and as an alternative, the m/c direct to the caliper. Not made my mind up on that one yet. MR will be measuring the lines and doing the fitting for me. Andy

Do Not Sell My Personal Information