1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What The Heck Is This?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Monsterped, Sep 28, 2021.

1. My Mum has been clearing out some of my Dad’s stuff after he passed away and gave me this today, assuming it was a penknife but as you can see it’s not. The “blades” on each arm are quite sharp and the three arms fold into the body. I’m thinking it’s a special tool for something but can’t fathom what. It’s possible it belonged to my great grandfather who was a carpenter in Portsmouth Dockyard pre war or it’s possible that my Dad had it stashed for years.

any thoughts?
    A5B4EAAB-D81C-4CAD-9373-45C439FC4CB7.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  2. Think it has something to do with horses hooves.

3. B2081F58-E6AE-4EA2-9D10-805A33E22F30.jpeg
    For making these marks?

• Funny Funny x 4
  4. How much for the frayed paper with secret message on it?

5. Nothing to do with carpentry. It's a Victorian blood letting tool :upyeah:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Funny how these types of things can linger in the mind. Whilst munching on a chicken drumstick for ma tea a few mins ago I got to thinking about your thing. It looks home made. What did the old boy do for a living, that might be a good starter for ten...

7. Here's another BLOOD LETTING TOOL

[​IMG]

8. Here's a whole lot of (did I say??) Blood letting tools, incl. a few Scarificators (spring loaded blood letting devices)

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • WTF WTF x 1
  9. outstanding JB I knew this forum would know!

so what sort of age is this likely to be?

10. These are also known as Fleams apparently

who knew…

the puzzle is where it came from, one possible is that my Dad’s father was a medical orderly in Plymouth and Portsmouth Dockyards in the late 1920’s but I’d have thought this is much older?

11. Your's has to be (probably) early Victorian, so no longer in use in the '20s. Who knows why he had it? Maybe it was just a redundant tool that he/your Grandfather came across and kept? ..... perhaps for leatherwork? My Dad was a Carpenter and he used to find special (often one-off) uses for all sorts of non-carpentry tools.

• Like Like x 2
  12. I’ve no idea what a blood letting tool is. Sounds a bit gruesome :scream:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 3
  13. So how exactly do they make Jammie Dodgers?

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. I thought it was a set of feeler gauges :grinning:

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Fleams are also used sometimes for cleaning/reaming out tobacco pipes.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information