1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What The Hell Happened?

Discussion in 'Hypermotard' started by WheeliesToForgetFeelies, Mar 22, 2019.

1. I have a HM796 and for a few days now she has been taking an extra second starting from cold. yesterday whilst riding the engine light came on and there was an immediate power reduction and the sound coming out of the exhaust was a lot bassier. It felt like when the bike was in first gear, it felt like it was in third. There was also very low torque past the 4k RPM mark.

I turned the bike off and on again and the issue was fixed!

A few hours later same thing happened but soon after the light came on, every light on the dashboard went off and the engine shut off. I checked the battery and the negative terminal had become unscrewed (maybe my bad, maybe from the vibrations. Anyway I screwed it back in and the bike was back to normal.

Today the bike sounds different when in first gear and in low RPM, up until the 3-4k rpm it sounds thumpier, sounds a bit flappy, kind of like a cruiser even! I'll get a video later. I have a set of leo vince cans.

What happened to my bike?

2. Do these have an exhaust valve? Might be sticking if it does.

3. Yes sounds like it.

4. How do I check the exhaust valve? Not finding good hits on Google

5. No exhaust flapper valve on HM796.

Check you haven't lost a CO take off blanking screw, there's one in each pipe.

6. With huge reservations on commenting on this as ive only been riding bikes for 5 minutes and I am rubbish with anything that needs grease

The engine light coming on on my van puts the engine into engine saving mode, basically turns everything good to rubbish to stop you damaging the engine more, its a preservation thing

Apologies if this isnt what you meant at all, look up the dictionary definition of “ignore” and you will find my name

Hope you find the answer

Do Not Sell My Personal Information