1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Would Be Your Perfect Motorcycle?

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by J biker, Oct 1, 2021.

1. Currently running bikes number 22 and 23. Monster 1200r and 2017 GS1200.

The GS, Mr do it all, except full on scratching at speed and its heavy.
    The Monster, great performance, zero wind protection and not somewhere you want to be with motorway miles.

What do I want? Low weight, good torque, a bit go (120bhp plus..?) great handling. For me, I dont really care after 100 maybe 120 max, stable to there, death weave at 150...no issue.
    17 wheels, like the rest of civilised society, choices of touring, road, sticky forthcoming.
    Rear passenger, meh, ok, but I am the priority.
    A bit wind blast protection without serious buffeting. There is sweet spot between naked and barn door?
    Modern day...cruise...heated grips. A quick shifter OR a wide power band with a sweet gearbox and light clutch.

Weight. Did I mention weight? Less than the Starship Enterprise, a bit more than 600cc sportbike...

So, 2013 Multistrada, K8 gixer, quality suspension..

Hmmm.

They just seem to get bigger, more gubbins, not any better. Surely too expensive now.

For me, some sort of crossover (not crossdresser, though I know one, different story..)

The bikes that have SOME of the plus points:
    GS1200. Corners, torque....but heavy as fcuk...silly wheel sizes
    2013 Multi..nearly there...great engine..poor stability at speed and basic suspension
    S1000xr, yes and yes, but engine is bland in later versions, you have to be happy with inline four...excess of performance..
    KTM1290GT, a nearly bike, later ones suspension much better, though just an algorithm change..seat is torture, needs bar risers, eats tyres.

Blah, blah,..

Sorry, but instead of improving the Multi, GS, etc, they just seem to get longer, heavier, bigger and more expensive.

I am probably only talking for myself, now in France, different requirements..big power not needed.
    A high end 950 Multi with 17” wheels and ohlins
    A crash diet GSwith 17” wheels
    A 1190GT (yes..the 1290 is stupid ŵith tyre wear and the chassis cant cope..)

It seems manufacturers are too worried about a true crossover of performance between tourers and sports bikes, because the middle ground could be so much better.

Sorry for rambling on.

2. One that f@ckin’ worked !

#2 Carr01, Oct 1, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2021
    • Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Would need to have a bottle opener and make tea. BJ's would be good too. And do the ironing.

I may be thinking of wives.....

• Funny Funny x 3
  4. Wives do BJ’s, mine stopped providing that service after we’d settled down. Either your Wife is faulty or mine is…….:confused:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. You need to feed them diamonds

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Fuel injected 500cc two stroke would be perfect for me.

• Like Like x 4
  7. I’ll do without….:sob:

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. Not real ones silly! Pandora rip off bling obvs! I got K-tech and V02's to buy!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Perhaps somebody else's if your heavy handed.

10. My wants are pretty much the same as yours. Min 120 hp, plenty of torque, comfortable up to 120 ish.

I've flitted back and forth between sports bikes and big trailie style for the last 16 yrs or so.
    Loved my 2010 multi, it was the bike I did the most miles on out of all I've owned (over 45k miles).
    Didn't try any of the later ones as I though they were ugly.
    My last street bike was a KTM1090R, which I sold 3 yrs ago.
    Am trying something new tomorrow, going supernaked for the first time. Maybe it will tick all the boxes.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Bikes, diamonds or wives?

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. I guess all three if you put it that way round.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Diavel 1260S
    Sticks to the road like shit to a blanket
    All mod cons
    Insane Torque
    Great on Motorway
    Great on twisties
    Good fuel consumption and range
    Phenomenal looks (Subjective)
    Did I say insane torque
    Soundtrack to piss off anyone who prefers peace and quiet
    You are welcome to have a go Jim, if these shit pot Covid rules ever subside

• Like Like x 2
  14. You could do a lot worse than an r1200r

15. 2013 skyhook pre-DVT multi, with lower seat height, cruise control and tft screen would do it.

16. Comfort, ergonomics, weather protection and fuel efficiency of a BMW RT.
    V-twin KTM LC8 engine levels of torque and power (175bhp/106lbft torque). Super Duke levels of handling.
    Sub-220Kg (wet).
    Shaft drive.
    Strong enough sub-frame for 50L topbox and 40L panniers.
    Medium seat height with a thick, memory foam seat.
    15" Bluetooth/wifi Andriod tablet.
    17" wheels.

Closest I've managed to get so far is a KTM 1290 Super Duke GT, but I live in hope that BMW will one day do a carbon frame/body version of the RT.

• Like Like x 1
  17. D16RR

A totally absurd bike for the road but still, just to own it & to look at it

• Like Like x 1
  18. You seem to be describing pretty much what I’ve been thinking about. A sports tourer.

The trouble is they’re out of fashion with the manufactures, except of course Kawasaki. Ever since Ewan and Co went out for a ride all manufacturers have been wanting to jump on the adventure bike bandwagon.
    Man those bikes are bloody enormous! They’re the Chelsea tractor version of motorbikes, heavier and heavier. I’m surprised that they don’t come with a step or maybe two.

The new Multi has all the same symptoms, weight gain, enormous height, etc,etc. Oh but it’s a best seller I hear them say. Well, not for me. It’s far too GS. It’s a Munter, a Munterstrada.

I was hoping for a V4 Ducati tourer, not a BMW clone.

As you’ve described, torque, not 205bhp. Closer to 200kg. Lower not higher, no unnecessary long travel forks. Hardly anyone takes a big heavy expensive adventure bike off road.

Put the new Multi V4 engine ( approximately 160bhp) in a Streetfighter frame and and put an attractive fairing on it. Add all the toys, abs, quickshifter , cruise control etc and have facility for panniers and a top box. Result.

All the bits except the fairing are in the parts bin. It would be so easy to do.

I spoke to a Kwaker dealer a while ago and he said their 1000cc sports tourer is cleaning up because no other manufacturer is in the market. They sell more sports tourers than any other model. So there is a market out there.

One other thing, 1200cc.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1

19. Why don't you get Pikes Peak and be done with it ?

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. I can safely say that after having over 30 bikes, my 1260GT is the perfect bike, for me.

With the full system, it has loads of torque, zero flat spots, and sounds fantastic.
    With the Pikes Peak screen, there is zero buffeting.
    It’ll potter around at 30mph, or rip your arms out of their sockets up to over 160mph.
    17” wheels, front and rear, so brilliant handling.
    It looks fantastic, and always gets a lot of positive comments.
    I can stick the panniers on in a matter of seconds for big trips, or shove a small bag on the back for shorter ones.
    It has all the electronics you’d ever need; cruise, quick shifter, TFT dash, heated grips, phone integration (not that I’ve bothered with that), full LED lighting.
    I don’t find it big, in fact it’s quite small compared to the GS/ GSA’s I used to own.

• Useful Useful x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information