1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's The Best Paint For Rocker & Crankcase Covers?

Discussion in 'Detailing and cleaning' started by West Cork Paul, Mar 29, 2019.

1. I'm refurbishing my 748 and am wondering what is the best paint to use on the rocker/cam/crankcase covers? My current plan is they will remain in situ on the engine, I'll remove all the flaking paint, in places this will take it back to the bare metal, I'll then sand it to smooth any lips between good paint and bare metal then plan to paint over them. Obviously the paint has to have some heat resistance and I'd like it to be as near as possible, if not exactly the same, as the original grey colour.

On a related matter, where I've bare metal that's been cleaned/polished what's the best way to keep it that way? Lacquer? AC50? The photos show the union and thermostat from the coolant system before & after my first pass at cleaning them up.
    IMG_0315.jpg IMG_0318.jpg IMG_0317.jpg IMG_0320.jpg IMG_0311.jpg IMG_0314.jpg

2. POR15 engine paint and clear is really good if you use the degreased and metal prep also .. follow the instructions to the letter and you won’t go wrong

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. You've got them off get them powder coated.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Looks like all that fresh sea air is playing havoc with your soft parts!
    ;)

5. Ah but, I dont have the crankcase covers off yet and if I did take them of, which is not a problem, how do I make sure the powder coating is only on the outside? Can they do that?

6. Exactly :(

7. My Aprilia engine has just been rebuilt. Several covers have been powder coated. Don’t know who did the coating but I can ask the engine builder. (Cal550) he’s well know for SXV engines

C75252FF-D41A-409A-AF17-39F90AB1DAD6.jpeg

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Thanks. I just the outside coated? Don’t bother asking who did them as I’m in SW Ireland so it’ll be too far away for me.

Someone (@Arquebus I think) in another thread, but I can’t find it, advised someone else to leave the CCCs in place and treat them there.

9. Are they not only powdered coated on one side at manufacture ?

10. I’m not sure it is powder coated, else why flake & peel off? I think it might be spray painted onto bare (perhaps unprimed) metal. As long as it lasts longer than the warranty period who, in manufacturing, cares? Perhaps I’m a bit cynical ?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. On some parts when being replaced, I've typed into the bay of evil, nos ducati (insert model) and see what comes up.

I have found and ordered genuine parts new old stock from the states and even allowing for customs charges, have turned out to be cheaper than a refurb. Always worth pricing up the differences

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. Thanks Noobie, good idea:upyeah:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information