1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wheel Cleaning

Discussion in 'Detailing and cleaning' started by BabyD, May 9, 2018.

1. After my bike came out of service they had used some thick goo to lube the chain which was SUPPOSED to be none flick

But as you could guess the back of my bike was absolutely caked in a honey like goo, I tried soapy water but would not shift it, I just happened to be chatting to a fellow biker @ at cafe yesterday & he said to use MR SHEEN furniture polish ( other brands are available )

Now I thought it was a April fools joke & was very sceptical but was bored so I thought I would take a punt, because of the amount of goo on the wheel I applied a lot to a white foam & left it for 10-15 mins & to my surprise with little to no wipeing with a new dish cloth it just wipes off completely & leaves a shiny surface like it’s been waxed & water just beads off.

Who would of thought it.....

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Who'd of thunk it,...

I enjoy using that saying to dispel any readers of doubt (on other sites like Russia Insider). Yes Mr sheen works & in general furniture polish sprayed onto your visor & allowed to dry. Then buffed off will disperse water droplets is another tip!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Baby wipes work a treat too

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. As does WD40 or similar on a cloth....

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. WD40 is great at removing glue residue from labels & stickers too.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  6. I think it was WD40 chain lube that caused the issue

7. Not the same stuff though. WD40 gets it off no bother.

PS. Use Wurth dry, no fling at all. :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Is that the one with the black cap or the red cap???

9. wurth_hp_performance-dry-chain-lube_1.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  10. I use the £1 a packet ones from Wilco's, they work really well.

11. WD40 is ace at cutting through all kinds of nasty stuff.

12. Think it's white-spirit based

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. Remember my uncle showing my little cousin how to use WD40 to clean wheels. Left him to it and came back to find his tyres had been cleaned with the stuff :joy:

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. The advantage of Mr Sheen v WD40 is that Mr Sheen dries to a relatively hard, shiny, dust repellant finish. WD40 repels water but not muck and is something of a dust magnet - not ideal with all that brake dust around...

15. Furniture polish is bloody awesome at removing any sticky residue,very good at removing remnants of adhesive labels etc
    Bit random, but I read that white vinegar ( 48p in Tesco ) & fairy liquid is brilliant for cleaning UPVC window frames/ doors etc , I tried it & it’s brilliant, much better than other expensive UPVC cleaners.

16. Proportions?

17. upload_2018-5-30_10-13-39.png

Sorry couldn't resist :p

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information