1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When It's Time To Give Up Sports Bikes...................

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by El Toro, Mar 28, 2016.

1. What would you go for and why? :)

2. I'd like to think I'm a distance away from it only being 25 lol but I have thought about it

Everyone ages differently depends on aches and pains etc. My father in law is 61 and rides a Fireblade. He's done 7k on it in a year of ownership as well with no bother. He came from a sport tourer to a sport bike after a big break of sports bikes and said he doesn't really find it anymore uncomfortable than a sports tourer.

If it wasn't a sport bike for me, I think it'd have to be a sports tourer.. Something like a k1300s for instance.

Some of the multistraders and s1000xr are good bikes but I think after looking at a sport bike it's like comparing a Vw golf to a Ferrari. My opinion ofcourse.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. My body would disagree,but while my head tells me Im 12,I ll keep my sportsbike.:)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Multistrada

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. I'm contemplating an X Diavel, I love the look of the thing, it's got pace and street cred but I'm not sure whether I'd miss my 899, I just love the whole red look of it!

#5 Nigel Machin, Mar 28, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  6. when i get to that age i will probably be more concerned about the smell of stale urine and the cost of rubber pants. maybe a scrambler.

• Funny Funny x 8
    • WTF WTF x 1
  7. This is getting to close for comfort now , at 64 next birthday I can see the 748 getting a little awkward for me, still a few years yet though, in the mean time I find myself looking at monster's for the future.
    Steve

• Like Like x 6
  8. Unless it's a race track / motorway I think I'd pee all over a Ferrari around London in my Golf (R32...like an annoyed wasp off a tennis racket).

#8 AirCon, Mar 28, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2016
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. I'll be 70 several this year but still prefer my ss to sitting up ,that gives me backache.

• Like Like x 4
  10. I got there at the grand old age of 31 thanks to a liking for rides longer than 1 hour and some metalwork in my legs, I went from a Daytona 650 to a Street Triple R in search of more comfort without loosing the fun, then late last year I bought the Multistrada... This is the bike I've been looking for, Comfy and flickable with the brute force to keep my sports bike riding friends in view (in the excellent mirrors)... Except the psycho on a Hyabusa.

• Like Like x 1
  11. I have looked at the alternatives but they all fall short of the Multistrada. I do have a hankering for an R1200RT though but it just doesn't have the sparkle of the Ducati.

12. I have just got my first sport bike at the age of 54. I seem to be going the other way. I find them really no more painful than an adventure bike. The pain just arrives in different parts. The sit up and beg position makes the small of my back and my knees painful. I really do think there has been some really good kidology going on in the last decade or so. All bikes can be uncomfortable after an hour or so but we've been conned into thinking they've designed something magical that comes with a big beak and a massive range of clothes, luggage, sat navs et etc ad infinitum.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Audi TT, wanted one for years but all my money has gone into bikes

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. These are my sentiments exactly at 61
    I only hurt when I get off. I can put up with that. Ibuprofen is your friend

• Like Like x 4
  15. I'm still miles off that at only 47. But massive respect to those who still ride and enjoy riding their sports bikes at knocking on 60! Just hope I still enjoy it as much as I do now in 15 years time.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. Another vote for the multistrada, it's a brilliant all rounder, but I've got to say I'm really enjoying the 1200 Stripe and, as a fringe benefit, it's doing wonders for my neck muscles. I must have gone up a couple of collar sizes since I got it.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Well Iv jumped from an R1 to a hyperstrada

• Like Like x 2
  18. If the time comes for me it would be another 796 hypermotard or an 848 Street fighter.

• Like Like x 1
  19. I reckon I'd go for a monster, my ex had a little original 600 and it was loads of fun, brakes and suspension were a bit wishy washy but it was 20 years old and part of the fun! you can get the pegs down very easily and feel like a hero (until you got a slap on the back of the lid that was)....

20. I will be making that decision this year with the 749, I'm going to test ride the scrambler but might stick with the 800 monster.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information