1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1098 When Selling/letting Go Is Not As Easy You Thought

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Brouny851, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Earlier this year I decided to sell my Ducati 1098S, which I had owned since new. It was advertised for a couple of weeks but didn't attract a serious buyer. A few days ago on a bit of a whim I resumed the Ad and yesterday final payment on it was made and off the bike went with it's new owner.

It wasn't a forced sale or anything like that, there was solid logic behind the decision. Nevertheless I owned the bike for a fair period and put a lot of time and energy into its upkeep. The thing becomes a part of your life experience (good and bad). I bought it when my wife was 4 months pregnant with our now Year 7 son. I have photo's of both kids propped on it from toddlerhood through the years to the recent past.

Then of course all the riding memories, from the euphoric to brown trousers time. Good day trips with friends, some of whom I have lost contact with.

Of course at the end of the day it is an object, a possession ... but when it becomes entangled with special times, with throwing spanners at the garage door because a 30 minute task crept into its 3rd hour and most of all because it was a constant presence in the garage and out of habit I'd always glance at it - it is far more than a piece of machinery.

I'm writing this not because anything I've said is unique or especially insightful, it's because of the flatness that I am waiting to pass and putting it out there amongst other owners rather than sulking to myself. And anyway, I'm very lucky that I'm not left bikeless,there are another couple of "machines" in the garage waiting for me to practice my inept skill with the tools on.

So time to move on, but thanks you beautiful (in my eyes) thing :)

Best 1.jpg

• Like Like x 26
  2. Great post. I had this same feeling when I sold my beloved Honda NC30 over 20 years ago. I still regret selling it and actually keep a picture of it in my wallet! I vowed after that I would never sell any bike I had an emotional attachment to as long as i am able to afford it. Luckily I tend to only buy a bike once a decade!

#2 tboooe, Jun 30, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
    • Like Like x 5
  3. Oh man up will ya :p

• Funny Funny x 4
  4. Ha, coming from a man emotionally attached to a multitude of machines! ;):cool::blush:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. I know how you feel

I sold a 1981 Z1000H I'd owned for 27yrs to pay a bill, and it almost killed me.
    like you I have pictures of my kids on it at various ages.

I did however use what was left over to purchase my first M900, which i still have.

Nasher.

• Like Like x 5
  6. Luckily for me I realised an attachment to a car early on, probably replacing other things. With many happy memories, I wrote it off extensively at Castle Combe and rebuilt it mainly myself involving major surgery although my health was already failing. I’ve owned it about 43 years and hopefully will be buried in it. It was thinking of @Lumbux I thought id post.

• Like Like x 2
  7. I had a 650 Bandit i bought new in 2005 and done over 50k miles on it all over the uk, had it for 10 yrs and had some great memories of going out and taking my son to bike meets and racing(BSB, MOTOGP) i did alot to it and yes the proverbial chucking spanners and almost doing a Basil Fawlty sketch but loved the thing and said i would never sell it but i did!!:(
    But the money i got for it went towards our (wife, son and father in laws) epic ride to Italy for the Motogp(MISANO):upyeah::grinning: and Ducati factory and museum tour!! 106418154_682627749251341_8950824544357177537_n.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  8. I keep them all, much easier :)

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. I understand this completely. I’ve got five Ducatis, haven’t ridden any of them in two years and three of them in about four or five years. This is mainly down to work and family commitments. They are all paid for and I don’t need to sell any of them but sensibly I should as I keep paying for them to be serviced and maintained whilst being laid up and not ridden. However I can’t just bring myself to do it. Sad as it sounds, after a bad day at work just going into the garage and looking at them and thinking one day I’ll get back out on them is good therapy. I think what you have is sellers remorse. I’ve never had it but I’ve been victim of it. Nearly bought a 1098R, went to look at it, did the deal and said I’d be back the next Saturday to collect it. Seller changed his mind during the week. Lesson learnt. Go with van, cash, do deal, hand over money and quickly put bike in van and leave before seller has time to think about it.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. I bought a MK2 RS2000 in February 1990, never actually finished the resto when I sold it in 2018, never going to forgive myself :sob: I won't sell my bike unless it is replaced by something better (which I can't afford - see above :confused:)

11. My dad bought a red Ford Mexico back in the 70’s and PX’d it (that’s swapped the Mexico and cash!!) three years later for a shitty orange coloured Triumph 2500 PI which rusted away infront of his eyes. I’ve never forgiven him for that!:neutral:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. I think a pic or two of this car is in order?

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ohmigod! You sold that? Oh no.......

14. I still regret selling this.......
    Sp at port erin  2009 tt (1)_kindlephoto-7512007.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  15. the best photos are just that unfortunately but i should be able to find something Jez.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Bikes are like dogs. pets. Especially if you know its nuts and bolts. Find it difficult to sell a bike.

• Like Like x 2
    • Lock Thread Lock Thread x 1
  17. Top post I enjoyed reading that I have a few bikes and I sometimes think of selling a couple I don’t really use but then I look at them and just like them being there so don’t bother

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. My Elsie is my big regret. Didn’t need to sell it, just needed a car for a job but could’ve easily kept it. I have no photos of me on it either, just great memories. Often think about buying another but it wouldn’t be the same.

19. Are you sure...?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information