1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where To Now For The V4 Streetfighter??

Discussion in 'Streetfighter' started by Poucher, Aug 2, 2019.

1. Hi Guys,

Like a lot of people on here I’d been keeping a close eye on the build up to Pikes Peak race and Carlin Dunne’s daily blog on his progress with the bike, especially as I was eyeing the V4 Streetfighter up as a replacement for my 899 next year, he was nailed on for the win I thought...

I found it utterly tragic to learn that Carlin had lost his life in an accident virtually at the very end of the course, a great loss to all as he seemed a fantastically talented guy who just loved racing bikes and was obviously brilliant at it.
    Even Rennie Scaysbrook, who eventually claimed the win gave tribute to Carlin by saying that everyone else was just racing for second place.

I’m sure that everyone in Carlin’s race team and the Ducati people involved in the project were absolutely stunned by this outcome and no one had expected it to end this way.
    And since the race, it’s all gone quiet about the V4 Streetfighter, almost as though no one wants to talk about “ the elephant in the room “ , remember prior to the race, the teaser videos saying “ the gloves are off “?
    If things had not ended so tragically on race day and Carlin had took the win, the Ducati Marketing and Press departments would have gone into overdrive and we’d have been inundated with videos and Ads proclaiming what a fantastic brute of a bike they had just developed and the bike buying publics appetite would have been wetted big style for lots of purchases next year on the bikes launch.

I think they were 99.9% sure of the win and that would have been the ideal “springboard “ to launch this all conquering new bike!

No one was prepared for what happened that day and it’s been stunningly quiet from Ducati ever since?

Which brings me back to my original question...

Where to now for the V4 Streetfighter??

It’s a difficult subject to broach really, I hope I’ve done it tactfully and respectfully to Carlin,
    How do you launch a new bike on the back of such a tragedy, I’m sure it’s causing Ducati massive problems knowing which way to proceed with publicising and marketing this bike now in a sensitive and respectful manner, in a way I can empathise with them and the massive dilemma they now have on their hands, will people feel that this bike has been tainted, cursed, jinxed by its early history?

And as much as he deserves it, I’m not quite sure a Carlin Dunne tribute bike would be the best way to launch a new Streetfighter model?

Any thoughts guys?

Interestingly Pikes Peak have temporarily stopped bikes from running in the race next year while the organisers consider future options.

And once again, RIP Carlin...cool racer dude

• Like Like x 4

2. Very much so, well done mate. Interesting point, and it has gone very quiet on that front.

• Like Like x 1
  3. It's a difficult one for sure, don't think we will see a Pikes Peak version launched next year... :(

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Forget it ever happened from a marketing stance would probably be best all round, with a memorial bike in maybe a year

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. yup, sounds about right. there will probably be base model, the S version and instead of a PP range topper they will have something like an R or Corsa. i'm number 5 for an S at my local dealer :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. I guess Ducati foresee future V4SF sales falling off a cliff.......

• WTF WTF x 1
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. I went into the Preston dealership the other day asking what the crack is with this and that's exactly what he said.

8. They will have a Carline Dunne Pikes Peak Edition with a percentage to the family, remember it's Yanks we're talking about here, they do things differently over there.

9. Who would want to buy a memorial bike? strange idea.

10. 916 Senna ??

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. He was alive when it was released :joy:

12. Apparently he signed it off but sadly had his accident prior to it's release and they have released several more Senna versions since becoming a rolling memorial for the Senna Foundation. That's what MCN say so it must be true.:bucktooth:

13. I'm quite sure a "R" version is around the corner. A Corsa will come in time as it usually signifies the end of line if history repeats.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information