1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Bike?

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Gryphon, Jun 26, 2020.

1. Hey all,
    An Aussie here, have been here 5 years and am looking to jump into the world of UK riding. I rode a Daytona 955i back home but have always wanted a Ducati sports bike for some reason - was thinking about a 1098/1198/1199 but I keep reading that they are an uncomfortable ride though. Any advice on what to look for/what to stay away from? Mainly for general road riding.

2. Welcome buddy. My 899 was one of the most comfortable bikes I’ve owned for road use, I can’t imagine the 1199 being any different comfort wise. I owned an 848 back in 2013, didn’t have any comfort issues at the time only I remember it being hot esp in traffic stop/start but that was when I lived in Sydney,

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Personally i dont think anyone can help you....what everyone feels is different...ive got an rsv4 and a few years back (long story) i had an r6 at the same time and while they look and are almost the same size and seating position i could ride my RSV to the TT and back, clock up 1k in a week and stay on the r6 for 20 mins before i was fucked and needing pain killers...

• Like Like x 2
  4. Welcome to the Forum Gryphon :upyeah:.
    Everyone's gonna tell you something different, best thing to do is get to a large dealer and sit on a few. You're in Hampshire according to your avatar so take a trip to Moto Rapido, or go to Loomies and speak nicely to the locals, or take a longer trip to On Yer Bike, just north of Aylesbury, Bucks.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Welcome Dude :):upyeah: have you checked insurance quotes with no UK history first :thinkingface: not sure if they might sting you :eyes:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Hi. As above really but as a rule of thumb the more recent sports dukes are more comfortable than the older ones. Don’t discount an 899/959.
    Worthwhile introducing yourself to everyone in the Newbies section. We are a pretty friendly lot in the main and that way you will get maximum exposure as a Newb.

• Like Like x 2
  7. It was a concern for me too with a 1098 as I’d been off bikes for 9yrs & it’s not exactly a tourer! Balls out riders bike with no real rider aids is what it is, but...it’s not uncomfortable. Apart from the superheating in the ball sack area if you’re trundling along stop/starting in towns, but you get that with most of the bigger Pani’s too.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Oh, and get an 1198R, S or base budget dependant :):upyeah:

9. I just renewed insurance for a MV F4, 134 quid with 10+ years no claims. Same insurer, 128 quid with 0 years no claims. Same policy! I don't get it but it makes F all difference.

• WTF WTF x 1
  10. Cool :cool::upyeah:, I didn't think you had any no claims :thinkingface:

11. Thanks for the reply. Yeah I understand you. Ultimately it’ll be how I feel when I ride them but thought it’d be good to hear some opinions. Cheers.

12. Ah, that's why - getting you mixed up with the OP :)

13. I have had a quick look. Did a tester with a 955i and was surprised at how good a few were after getting stung with car insurance here. I do have 5 years here now so that helps but sucks that they won’t recognise 25 years on a bike.

• Like Like x 1

14. Thanks mate, appreciate the info. Always good to get local info on where to hunt for a deal.

16. That makes no sense that you pay more WITH NCB than without, did you ask your insurer why? Curious to see how they explained that one away:thinkingface:

17. I had a online quote with 10 years+ NCB and took out the policy. Then realised that was probably not true as my NCB is tied up with other bikes. So I rang them to come clean, expecting to pay a lot more but it turns out it was less. I did say to them are you sure that's right and they did say yeah, doesn't make much difference anyway but I didn't argue about getting 6 quid back. There are times to argue and there are times to shut up. I chose the latter.

• Useful Useful x 1
  18. 1299s good all rounder

Do Not Sell My Personal Information