1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Chain?

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by Irogerh, Mar 3, 2019.

1. I am sure that this has been done to death but as I cant find the info anywhere thought I would post here.....
    Just finishing the long time renovation of my 1998 carby 750ss and looking for new chain. Old chain was a 96 link DID (not sure which one). Manual says I need a 96 link DID 520 VL4 chain but I quite fancy putting on a gold link DID 520 VX2. Is this chain OK? If not, what is the best chain to use as I cant find the 520 VL4 on the web site?
    Help appreciated... will have the bike ready for summer at long last!
    Roger

2. The DID recommendation is to use the ZVM-x rather than the VX2 because the pins are bigger, and it deals with a v twin power pulse better. However, the VX2 will work, just stretch a bit sooner and need replacing earlier. If you do a few thousand miles a year, it might still last 4 or 5 years.

• Useful Useful x 2
  3. It is only a 750. I cannot imagine there will be any issues with a VX2, Ive used one on my 900 before although Ive upgraded now to an ER series as bikes been modified

4. Thanks guys. I don’t think I will be doing much more than a few k miles a year so will give the VX2 a go.

5. You can't go wrong with the vx2....

6. Second that, gold VX2 on my 900 and it’s a very good chain for the price, gold effect plating helps resist rust, no problems with stretching (actually do they stretch?, isn’t it more wear in the pivots and sprockets that adds up to making the chain longer?)

7. I have a 520 VX2 Gold on my 900SSie with no problems. No stretch. According to the did website the tensile strength and wear resistance is only slightly lower than a 520VM-X and not far from the 525VM-X. The SSie is not a 200HP bike. And the 520 chain is lighter and narrower giving more clearance between chain and edge of tire if you run a 180 rear tire.

A4BAAA11-BCDE-40DF-805A-1D8CC58D10D8.jpeg

#7 SalkinSupersport, Mar 5, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
  8. Thanks for the replies. Chain arrived today and having seen your picture SalkinSupersport I have now ordered a new sprocket too!

• Like Like x 2
  9. If I were fitting a new chain I'd also be changing both sprockets too !

10. Yup

Do Not Sell My Personal Information