1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Helmet?

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by GHF1098, Sep 29, 2020.

1. Hi guys & girls.

I've just bought a 1098 as my first super bike! God I love it. So much character :)

My old BMW flip-top touring helmet is both out of date & also a little staid for such a wonderful new bike.

Living in Scotland, my adventures shall be road based though I won't rule out some track time eventually.

I'm drawn to either Shoei's GT Air II or X-Spirit III. The GT Air is classified as sports touring (more upright riding stance) whilst the X-Spirit is an out & out race helmet. Unfortunately the NXR doesn't float my boat.

Does anyone have sound advice?

Cheers

Graeme

2. its such a personal choice so best advice is be clear about what you want from it and then get to a decent shop and try on a bunch... the lid's no good if i dont fit your noggin even if its the swankiest race rep

on a related note, i took my own advice and switched brands after learning the brand i thoughts was best for me was in fact not giving me the protection around my pea head that i needed

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Thanks RC1. My local store immediately pointed me in the direction of the Shoei GT Air based on my noggin size & shape. I'm definitely a Shoei rather than Arai shape... My concern is more that I'm lent far further forward on the 1098 than typical sport tourers so the shape isn't truly compatible. I'm also keen for a 5 star Sharps safety rating as my earning capacity comes from between my ears!

4. ok thats a good start.. is the GT Air the one that felt the best?

5. Welcome Graeme, I have a shoei head and a sport tourer but don't suppose that helps much :D I guess you'd need to try the lid on for fit and sit on the bike to check for vision. For info my shoei (is a bit old now) but has a fairly high window as I always get blinded by the sun at this time of the year, they are possibly more versatile than you think in terms of crossing over sport touring and pure sport?
    I'm not too fsr from you, good to see another NE loon on board :upyeah:

6. On a 1098 you’ll be leant well forward. The Gt air is a great helmet but try it on and check you have enough vision when leant forward. It may well come down your forehead a little too much for a ‘prone’ sitting position. It’s designed more for a more upright touring position.

Occasionally when going round an uphill bend I find this can be a problem. Other than that I highly recommend them.

7. Slightly old but a good read as to the validity of the SHARP testing
    https://www.motolegends.com/reviews/Why-we-don-t-really-rate-the-Sharp-helmet-test

I’m a big Schuberth fan :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. @GHF1098 I have just bought a new Shoei to replace my 5 year old GT Air. You are welcome to try my old one if you want, postage will be £5 or £6 I imagine presuming it is to a mainland UK address. The new GT Air 2 are probably a little better all round but the old one should give you an idea of what its like and then just post it back as I like to have a spare.
    It is a size large if that helps.

9. Mmmm, perhaps I should start a thread for those of us absolutely stupid enough to be using something..... how can I put it?.... a little less new, and technically advanced.

Nasher.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Think he's only suggesting to try it for an idea how it fits on the head not to use it on the road.
    It states post back after.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. All about fit. Shoei are superb. They dont fit me like they used too, less (a lot less) hair! Maybe a change with shell size/shape.
    No substitute for trying on a variety of helmets.

12. AGV pista or Corsa personally

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. I think places will be quite restrictive about trying helmets on with current restrictions, so I'd call ahead before travelling any distance to make sure that's an option.

btw, I used to have a Schuberth, renowned for being quiet, but then switched to an AGV and it was both much lighter and quieter. Tech in helmets advances like anything else, so I wouldn't rely on past reputations.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. I’ve got a Shoei X Spirit 3

1AD108F4-90FD-42C0-B933-761B5360545D.jpeg

Decent helmet once it’s on your head and set up, notice I said “ decent “ and not great.

For the price of them I’m not impressed tbh, my main gripes with it are the vents or rather finding the buggers when your on the bike with gloves on bouncing down a bumpy road somewhere?
    They are just too small and fiddly and shiny to find and operate, the brow vent in particular is nigh on impossible to open/shut when your on the bike, GHF1098 ..best advice I can give you regarding the X spirit 3 is take your gloves with you when you go to try it on, see if you can manage the vents okay?

Other things that bug me about it is the side visor clip and lock, crap system,it twists the visor when you try to shut it, sometimes won’t shut because the lock clip got pushed up last time you opened it, so you have to push up the visor a bit, shove the lock part back down and then you can shut the visor!!
    Also being a race helmet it’s not that quiet , I use it on the Ducati where you can’t hear the wind noise for the racket from the engine!

I’ve just bought a new Kawasaki Ninja 1000sx this year to use on tours, this is so smooth and quiet that I notice the noise from the X spirit more, so I’ve just today ordered a HJC RPHA 70 for using when I’m on the Kwakka, I’ve had a RPHA 10 before and for the money I think they are good helmets, I like the centre locking clip on the visor, it’s dead easy to use and nice and positive, also HJC’s visor release mechanism is the quickest and easiest I’ve ever used, it may be worth you considering a RPHA 11 , but once again a race helmet so it might be a bit noisy.

I still like the Shoei, good quality helmets, but I sometimes think the X spirit 3 was designed by someone who doesn’t ride bikes, because to me, it’s not very user friendly to operate.

• Like Like x 3
  15. AGV Sport Modular - Comfortable and stable and for a flip up its quiet too. Half price which helps

• Like Like x 1
  16. Thanks for the info & advice Poucher. I'll try the gloves/vents idea tomorrow. I was almost pleased that the X-Spirit is louder than a sports/touring helmet. I ride with earplugs every time & will welcome a little more V-twin rumble & roar! :)

17. Hi Snips. My local nike shop are OK with trying helmets. Just have to wear a thin disposable balaclava. Not ideal but better than not trying at all!

18. Thanks for the offer Dukesox but I've already tried the GT-Air II for fit, but wasn't able to try it on my bike...

19. Helmet choice is very personal and I wouldn't dare say, "Get this or get that!"

I had a brief journey with Shoei but couldn't get on with the visor changing mechanism with very dark visors.

I went back to Arai who I've used for years. They fit my head and visor changing is simple.

Both me and a mate have both had very serious accidents over the years with brain injury. We both wore Arais,

As my helmet got a wack (looks fine, though) it is scrap. I will buy another Arai without hesitation ... but go to a decent shop and try on and get what fits you best. Don't try and save but buy a top make only, that is comfortable, Remember that you want to be able to wear it all day without any discomfort - you don't want it distracting you. I value my bonce at more than any helmet will cost!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information