1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Multistrada To Buy

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Hattori-Hanzo, Nov 9, 2019.

1. Hello all, New to the forum and to Ducati's

After the birth of my daughter I gave up biking and sold up my bikes.
    Now shes a little older and not having a bike for a while I'm really missing it.

Started with Jap sports bikes and over the years moved on to V twins, the last bike I owned was an Aprilia Dorsoduro which I loved.

My mad days are well behind me and I'm after a more comfortable bike that's good for long distance and 2 up riding but still fun enough for the weekend blasts which is what it will be mainly used for.

looking at a lot of different bikes the Multistrada seems to fit the bill perfectly, with one big concern.

The 1200 enduro would be my first choice but its at the top end of my price range without panniers which I'd ideally like to have. I also understand its a big bike and to be honest a lot of the enduro features would be wasted on me, although the extra tank range is a big plus.

Realistically I'm probably looking at a gen 1 (2010-2014) or higher mileage gen 2 (2015)

I actually prefer the looks of the gen 1 bike over the gen 2 but have read the extra 10hp and DVT engine is a big improvement.

I'm also a bit confused over all the suspension models and what year does what.
    Some with manual ohlins, some with electronic ohlins, skyhook, How do you find out exactly what model has what?

Also there seems to be a lot of different trims, standard, 1200S, granTurismo, pikes peak.
    Do the different trims add any thing significant or is it more cosmetic?

I suppose the question I'm asking is what are the pros and cons of the gen 1 vs gen 2?
    Should I get the newest, low mileage gen 1 I can find or the best gen 2 but with higher mileage to fit budget?
    Or go all out and just get the 1200 enduro? the wife might leave me...

Lastly onto the big concern, the servicing costs.
    I've always serviced my own bikes, interim services seem roughly on par with other manufactures but for the Desmo service I'm getting figures from £800-1200 which seems ludicrous to me.
    I understand if done properly there is a lot of work involved but even still it seems steep.

Does any one do their own servicing? are the horror stories true or are the basics just the same as any other bike?

Thanks for your time, feel free to throw any information my way on any thing you think might be relevant, I'm trying to get as clued up as possible before making a big purchase.

2. Welcome Dave and thread moved

3. @El Toro
    Thanks for the welcome and reply though I'm not sure why this thread got moved from the multistrada forum to the newbie section?
    I would have thought my questions would have been better answered in there?

4. I had the Pikes Peak. 2013. Absolutely incredible bike. If you can, opt for an S model or Pikes Peak. Updated electronics and suspension are always favorable.

• Love You Love You x 1
  5. Thanks for the reply Moondog.
    Am I right in saying the S version comes with the panniers? if so I think this is the model I'd be looking at getting.
    Would you say I'm better off looking for a bike with the skyhook suspension over the Ohlins set up?

Do you know what year bikes had the Ohlins?

6. Ohh you’ll learn!
    My 10 plate multi had ohlins suspension, panniers, centre stand, heated grips, I fitted a termi system, short screen and upgraded the SCU, great for touring or just blasting around on, an absolute fabulous all-rounder..... why oh why did I sell it.
    :(

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. I'm as confused as you are about all the various models over the years. I had a ten year break from bikes and bought myself a 2016 1200 Enduro a couple of months ago. Love it now I've tweaked a few things (seat rebuild for example).

Went for the Enduro as I've always had a thing for offroady bikes and I'm pretty tall so the size of the thing (it's huge) isn't an issue.

• Like Like x 1
  8. A midlife crisis comes to mind here......just maybe.;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Welcome aboard and yes this is one of the things that put me of buying into Ducati ownership back in 1994 with the stupid purchase/service prices!,but hey shop around for the best deals.:upyeah:

10. The enduro would get my vote, love the spoke wheels.
    That’s what it’s is though, it ain’t a looker, I’d never close the garage door and take a second glance, they say you don’t look at the mantle when you’re poking the fire, which is kinda true, but for me a change was inevitable.

#10 Carr01, Nov 10, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Ya cheeky bollox... and not just maybe!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Yeah I do really like the enduro, the spoked wheels and larger front end just look better.
    It's whether I can justify the extra cost or get a gen 1 and put the saved money towards servicing for the next few years.

Like i say I do like the look of the gen 1 as well just wondering if the performance of the gen2/enduro was worth going for over it.

Was there many changes from the 2010-2014 gen1?

If i went gen2 it would be a 2015-2016.

13. Properly tuned the 2nd Generation* Multistrada 2010 to 2012 was the fastest / most powerful; IMHO.
    I've no first hand knowledge of the DVT or 1260 models, sorry.

Somewhere we made a thread with the differences and what to look for?

*First generation was the 1000 Multistrada or F'uglies as they are known.

14. Ah yes I'm getting the models mixed up, forgot about the 1000 Multistrada and I didn't even know they did a 620 and 1100 version.

I've discounted any thing older than 2013-14 as I don't want a bike older than this.
    Also like you say before 2010 they have a face only a mother could love :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Yep, I've a few rugby mates who are prettier

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. Welcome to the forum the difference in all the old models can get confusing I wanted a multistrada with ohlins when I was looking but couldn't find anything but eventually opted for a 2013 skyhook pikes peak and have absolutely no regrets best bike I have ever owned
    Service cost are extremely expensive but shop around my multistrada is due the Desmo service which I'm getting done after Christmas shops will do this cheaper in winter and if you find a decent dealer they will even offer a pick up and drop the bike off service happy days
    Good luck in your search

17. Cheers for the info Clarkey :upyeah:

18. A white one with a red frame is best.

19. First gen were awesome machines, animals with great ferocious power delivery once tuned.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information