1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Optimate..?

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Stu, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Hi all, can anyone tell me which is the best Optimate to go for out of their range as I let my last one go with my bike.

For some reason I'm sure I had a Optimate 3, it rings a bell but I notice there is also a 4,5 and 6 available.

Any ideas which ones the one to go for..?

Thanks,
    Stu

2. Hi Stu
    Ive got an Optimate 4 which is vast improvement over the older 3, and it keeps both my batteries in good shape.

3. Ah ok, so there really isn't a rule as to which one is best, presumably the newer the better though but any will do, thanks.

Stu

4. The older 3 had a tendency to fry lead/acid batteries as was reported by several members of the old ducatisti site. The newer chargers are "more intelligent" than the previous models.

As I have a pair of PC680 batteries to keep on top of the Optimate 4 does the job well enough. But in essence you are correct unless you have a specific requirement then any of the Optimate chargers will do.

5. So a 4 would be ok for a 1098s then I imagine, or a 5 or 6 for that matter..?

Stu

6. Personally, I use a CTEK. I've had a couple of Optimates but they just packed in after a couple of years.

7. Is there only one model of that or different ones..?

Stu

8. I use an oxford oximiser 600 and find it very good. Well worth £40

9. I have been using these CTEK chargers - the smartest battery chargers in the world! For cars, boats golf carts and other 6, 12 and 24v vehicles. for a few years now and can not fault them. Personally I find they seem to be better than the usual Optimates etc. I have been using one on my 1098 (with gel battery) for close to 4 years which is the longest I have ever managed to keep a Gel battery going (and still going strong). I also have one of the bigger versions hooked up to my car which gets little use (car only does a few hundred miles a year), again I can't fault it.
    Chris.

10. Ive got one of these and it seems fine to me.

11. Seriously? I'm using the 3 and so far I've not had a problem

12. It's an age thing they were both about 4 years old and was very happy with them till one just stopped working and the other fried the lead acid battery on my 900. Boiled the thing dry and then was continuously desulphanating any battery I connected to it.

So I've replaced both with an Optimate 4, and touch wood no problems yet

13. just been to the garage, its actually the Oximiser 900 I have. works very well (although the 600 is the same basic unit without the display)

14. I have an Optimate 2, must be 12/13 years old now, still works fine, My Multi is still on it's original battery, 9 years old, starts every time.

15. Got a oxford oximiser 950 30 quid from J&S

Richie

16. CTEK...:upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Just be aware that many of the cheaper "trickle charge" types are not monitors and will simply keep feeding your battery whether it needs it or not.
    Probably ok if yr bike is being used regularly, but personally I wouldn't leave my battery connected to one all over winter.

18. Hein Gerek have still got these at £23.99 in their clearout sale. Picked one up last week. seems fine thus far.

19. Another Oxford user here, mines the Oximiser 900.

20. There seems to be a massive price difference between the Optimate and the Oxford's ... with the Oxford's being cheaper ... I'm taking it then that the Optimate is the premium brand product in this category then?

Stu

Do Not Sell My Personal Information