1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Tourer

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Ivor, Jun 6, 2021.

1. Pondering getting a tourer, Ducati, which would be the better choice? Always had, and still have, Ducati sports bikes, current wifey has a couple of monsters and I quite like riding the 696, but no fairing obviously. Thinking reliability and ease of general maintenance

2. Multistrada?

3. Old school mulitstrada :upyeah:

4. What sort of era?

5. Air cooled Fuggly or an ST4S. Andy

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Mm, not sure about Fuggly, won't sit right with the 888 SP4, 996 SPS, 999, 1098R and 1199,
    Any of them 'less Fuggly'

7. Does the ST4 engine suffer from soft cam followers ?

8. Just looked at a few pictures, definitely on the Fuggly' side, I guess with Covid though and mask wearing no-one will know it's me

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Manufactured post poor plating episode and mine was fine. Andy

• Like Like x 1
  10. 05 ish.

• Like Like x 1
  11. I keep forgetting about that :D And no! Panigale :)

12. Just read the MCN review of the V4S multistrada, sounds good...

• Like Like x 1
  13. I've got a panigale, not a V4S mind

• Like Like x 1
  14. "Does the ST4 engine suffer from soft cam followers ?"

I believe the ST4 had an engine based on the 916 Desmoquattro motor and some early versions had follower wear problems, thought to be related to surface abrasion and insufficient lubrication?

The ST4S had the 996 Desmoquattro engine that had a number of improvements, but follower wear was reported to still affect some bikes.

Having said that, I had two ST4S's and toured Europe on both, and with recommended servicing they performed very well; as did the ST2 before that!

Tom.

• Like Like x 1
  15. The ST3 is a good tourer with a reliable engine and comfortable to ride.I never could understand why this bike was not more popular in this country.

16. A marketing mistake IMO. Why come up with a designation that was out of sequence ? Perception at the time was the ST3 was a step back from the heights of the ST4/ST4S not a step forward. Andy

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. I believe the ST3 option was because of the wonderful 3 valve engine.They obviously failed to consider that consumers might think it was a step back from the ST4/ST4S.

18. I would have, hadn't known Ducati made s 3 valve engine, every day's a school day, considering a V4S multistrada

19. Yes Ivor and it is a lovely engine.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information