1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Tyre Pressure Gauges Are Most Accurate?

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by Freerange_egg, Sep 17, 2020.

1. Which tyre pressure gauges are consistently accurate? My gauge (free inside a Christmas cracker) seems to change its mind on a whim. And I want something that I know will be spot-on. What would you recommend?

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  2. Buy ten the same and they will all say something different. They are just a guide. In the RAF we used to have them calibrated every now and then to ensure accuracy all the time.

3. How accurate do you need your tyre pressures measured to ? 5% error equates to 2 psi for 40psi measured. No mechanical gauge will remain accurate to +/-5% throughout its lifetime without regular inspection and routine recalibration. I use a Michelin analogue gauge that has stood the test of time but I have access to a friendly calibration lab. I know nothing about the workings of the current generation of digital measuring equipment but do know you only get what you pay for and when I was in employment, all our scientific digital measuring equipment was routinely inspected and calibrated annually to ensure accuracy to 1%. https://uk.bestreviews.guide/tire-p...MIrJjKsbXw6wIVhuntCh1t7QjfEAAYASAAEgLnnvD_BwE, https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/product-group-tests/36242/best-digital-tyre-pressure-gauge-2020. Two links, take your pick. Andy

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. About £30... had one for years... always repeatable.
    [​IMG]

Or for digital..

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  5. I've got an older version of the Halfords cheap digital one. I've had it calibrated at work (an aviation systems company) and it's always been spot on. Fantastic for less than a tenner. YMMV.

• Like Like x 1
  6. I've used a halfotds cheap digital gauge for about 18 years and it's still on original batteries :bucktooth: seems very repeatable and confirms pressure stated in car so good enough for me :upyeah:

7. got two of these, "old school" - more "faff" but no reason to mistrust yet (about 5 years use)

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. Mine is like ^ but is a Venhill job. C£20. I like as it has a pressure release button so you can drop pressure without taking the line off the valve.

upload_2020-9-17_20-14-9.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Cant answer this.
    But I don know that the TPMS on my GS is not accurate. Slightly off topic, but not a fan and have to think it causes problems balancing the wheels.
    Anyway, semi interesting video....link:
    Health and safety should be observed ^^^ probably why the guy in the video has three hands o_O

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. I have the same one, good gauge.

11. If you are really serious about accurate pressures, you need to look at the process industry and get a gauge certified to ASME B.40.1 Grade 2A and get it calibrated regularly. That is within 0.5% accuracy across the full range. Ashcroft do some decent ones.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. 2nd that emotion. I've had mine for a few years now and its the biz, good for the bikes and the MH, although it now has a digital TPMS with individual sensors which is the dogs, t gives temp and pressure; perhaps they do them for bikes as well? I've never thought of that before. The remote unit is quite small so would sit unobtrusively on the bike dash.

I used to have an Oxford TPG with the long braided lead, shite it is. Gave up the ghost after about 6 months - avoid.

13. Here it is. They don't say on the website but I have pinged them an email query. I will up date the thread when they reply.

They are good, I find it invaluable on the m/h as its a 6 wheeler and regularly checking all the tyres was a real PITA.

The company is an award winner and the best thing is I get a discount through a m/h on line community; HUSSAR!

14. Just buy something decent. Then go to someplace that has very good and gets theirs calibrated...
    Test it 3 times take the average and write it on the gauge...
    Like... "reads + 3" or whatever. many are consistent... just off.

15. https://www.schradertpms.com/en-gb/our-products/motorcycle-tpms
    33 grammes. So throws wheel out of balance...
    Would prefer not to have this fitted tbh. My front wheel has more weights on it thanMoby Dick had spears in its back.

Anyone noticed how new bikes rarely have weights on the wheels? Yet come 1st tyre change...f...me, where did they all come from?

Back on track. I must buy a guage!

16. I found out in June my "go to old faithful" was reading 4psi hence all the rear tear.

For road the odd PSI probably doesn't matter much, but it's worth comparing with a mates every now and again.

17. I found out in June my "go to old faithful" was reading 4psi hence all the rear tear.

For road the odd PSI probably doesn't matter much, but it's worth comparing with a mates every now and again.

18. I read a magazine review of tyre gauges and the two most accurate ones were Venhill and these little fellas.
    2C2C397D-660E-4E1E-BCB9-F0D6C99DD6AE.jpeg

When an opportunity came up of a job lot of them I bought a whole lot and gave them to one of my bros to sell. ( That’s what he does as a part time job, buys and sells things).

The review said these were pin accurate all through the range,I figured that’s what you want from a pressure gauge. I can’t vouch for that but I have found them consistent.

I have one in my tank bag, one in the car one in the Mrs car and one at home. I don’t go on any bike trip without one. I check my bike tyre pressures every time I go out, easy peasy.

I don’t know exactly what he’s selling them for but it’s certainly less than a tenner. I think it’s actually £6.99 posted, I’ll check. If anyone wants one or more let me know.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information