1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Tyres For A Monster 1200r??

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by Richard Oldfield, Feb 23, 2021.

1. I bought a 2016 M1200R in October 19 with 1204m on the clock, & now with 2500m the rear tyre is squaring off, so what must be the original tyres need replacing.

My local supplier list the following, so I would be happy to hear anyone's recommendations. I don't do track days & ride mainly in the dry.

Bridgestone Battlax S22 - £274
    Bridgestone Battlax S21 - £236
    Pirelli Diablo Rosso III - £212
    Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa II - £276
    Metzeler M9-RR - £253

Other offerings not listed look a bit too slick for me.

2. The Corsa III and the M9RR will give you excellent grip in the dry but not a lot of miles. The Rosso III is a good all round tyre in the dry and the wet as are both of the Battlax. Probably get more miles out of the Battlax. If you are not doing many miles and more usually in the dry, I’d go for either of the Corsa or the M9RR which happens to be my favourite scratching tyre. Andy

#2 Android853sp, Feb 23, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  3. I've been riding only on Pirelli for the last 6 years and having had just about every models from SuperCorsa's to Scorpion's.
    The Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa II is a 50/50 road & track tire which require higher temperatures to operate optimally.
    Since you don't track, the Rosso III is a better choice as It will warm-up faster, has a wider range for maintaining their operating temperature and thus will be stickier in colder weather. Moreover, it will provide better wear.
    R&T tires such as SuperCorsa's and Rosso Corsa's are not likely to perform optimally in sub 20 degrees Celsius (ºC) street riding conditions.
    The colder the temperature, the more slippery these tires become.

#3 DarR, Feb 24, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
  4. I go for the Metzelers. I’ve got them on all my road bikes. I’ve recommended them to various friends and my next elder bro and all have been delighted. Hands up I’m a fair weather rider but I’ve not found them to be a problem when caught in the wet. I just don’t go mad in the wet.

I get 5k out of a rear, that’ll do me. The M9RR is supposed to give you 10% more mileage than the M7.
    They heat up well, I found you have to work at keeping the heat in some of the road going Pirelli’s.

I presume those prices are fitted?

5. Thread moved and title changed to suit

6. Mine came with new Rosso 2,s fitted.
    I have to admit to being surprised at how well they worked the other day. We were around14degrees and dry, but some of my favourite roads are shaded by trees and still had damp patches. Tyres worked really well. Cranked over but not taking liberties with throttle and brakes.
    That said, I had good experience with M7rr on my S1. They worked well on damp roads and had more grip than I have ability. Probably will fit the M9 Metzlers when new rubber is needed.

7. i have had rosso 11's on my bmw xr1000 and liked them but changed to metzlers 01s that were excellent and was going to put them on the 1200r when the om tyres needed changing .but after chasing my mate on his 1200 multistrada around the pyrenees i decided on fitting what he was running, which was conti road attack rear and sport attack front.
    i have done around 2000 miles on them now and they are great

8. I run Conti Road Attack 3 on the GS. Very good. I think I would go sport back and front for the 1200R. The road attack can get a bit greasy when pushed hard. Had them going a bit soft on the edges on a 1290gt and then on the GS when in Spain when the temperatures increase.

9. 20190904_111658.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  10. I think Pirelli always work well on Ducati's, I've sort of accidentally ended up riding on pirelli's for the last 7 years, so would always now go towards those. The Rosso 3 is quite a good tyre, I've ridden with them on a 899 and they worked well on a 2 degree day from brand new when I rode a mates bike home from the dealer, you wouldn't have known they were new.

I have Rosso 2 on my V2 though from OEM and tbh that's what I'll stick with, the advantage that supercorsa's give on a real hot sticky day are equally outweighed by my personal sense that they need to be 'switched on' a little. those first few miles on a sunny morning they can not always give the most feel, and obv if you do get caught out in the wet, on a new one they aren't too bad but if you are on a half worn supercorsa and there is any standing water things get lively. I can imagine on the monster with a rear weight bias and grunt, you would have some 'fun'...

• Like Like x 1
  11. I had a pair of Michelin power RS fitted to my !200R ,very ,very happy with them ,very quick warm up ,fantastic grip levels
    and a great profile so they tip in to the corners beautifully , when these wear out i will get another set.

12. I don’t think there are bad tyres anymore, well, not from the main brands.
    I’ve used BT21s on a range of bikes, will likely go Bt22 on my monster 1200r when the SCs wear through, but would also happily put any of the others you have mentioned on without a second thought.
    The good thing about the Monster is if you are not won over by a tyre you wont have to live with them for long!!

• Like Like x 1
  13. I've got the Metzelers RR's fitted.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information