1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Video Camera?

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by Stevie Tea, Aug 9, 2015.

1. I'm thinking of getting a video camera for the bike but not sure what to spend! I'm not after anything special but I would like:
    • HD quality
    • Image stabilisation
    • Sound recording
    With prices starting from £60 is there any real benefit spending £350 on the latest wizzy GoPro? and is there anything else I should be looking for that makes the device better to use.

Many thanks in advance for any advice given

2. I guess knowing the exact application may help with replies.

3. Have a look at the Garmin Virb Elite, good lay overs with gps trace maps etc once downloaded onto pc, Waterproof out the box, decent battery life. Depends what you are looking for though

4. Got a Hero 4 Session a few weeks ago, easy one button operation and really like the size without case... nuff said'.....​

image.jpg

5. Someone on here is selling a drift. Good cams

6. Drift ghost-s been using one for a while. Just remember to use the correct memory card and format it with the r.ecommended program or it won't work properly.
    And it's not really waterproof if you have it plugged in to battery power which is essential for long rides. Set on car mode it records 10 min and goes in a loop 64gb will get about 8 hours comes on automatically at ignition on and runs on after ign off for a few min.

7. Stick a contour 2+/ contour roam on your helmet. Having a bike mounted camera wreaks them fairly quickly. They cannot handle the vibrations over time'

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. I've got a GoPro 3+ and its a great all round action camera, but for biking I'd maybe go for something else. Garmin Virb looks good as NSR500 said the gps overlays are great and a real pain in the arse to do on my GoPro. Sound isn't great on a GoPro either but it can be fitted with an external mike if needed. Picture quality however is excellent and prob why its industry standard for TV production. The bundled software is also great for editing and adding slow-mos and other effects.

9. another vouch for the go pro hero 4 session, really easy to use, water proof (10 meters) and compared to my hero 4 black its tiny

10. I had the go pro last year and did not like it to fiddly while riding and battery life crap too ,,,
    had the drift ghost s much better and battery life good too
    nice remote that you can see what's happening and water proof with no case [emoji3][emoji3] for sale

11. DriftHD Ghost is great. I use it in a loop mode, when you get to an interesting bit you hit the button and save a loop of video, 30 seconds each way is enough. Remote button to control, waterproof if it's not got the charge lead in (I have e spare battery). Sound is not great unless you use the external mic (but then not as waterproof).

Just put this new one from this year up as well:

#11 Twin4me, Sep 4, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
  12. Go Pro 3 black ed, batt life a bit pants but can get 25mins on full charge. Picture quality is brilliant with correct mounting and setting.
    Sound a bit naff while in a water proof 100mph case as it's sealed. I use an exturnal mic.

I have tried others in the past but they suffer when light changes quickly (under trees etc - Oulton, Cadwell Park) but I have seen other models that work ok since, not sure if they are perhaps as hardy?

I will be trying a cheaper one as a different additional perspective next year.

13. A similar analogy would be should you buy a Ducati for £12000 when you can buy a scooter for £2000. They are very different things.
    If you are getting 25 minutes on a battery for a Hero 3 then something is wrong. I get a couple of hours on both my Hero 3 and Hero 3+. I also have a small box about the size of a fag packet full of Lipo batteries (£15 on ebay) that I can plug any of the cameras into and run one of them for about 24 hours.

14. I've got a Drift HD, great picture quality, suffers a bit with wind noise though, however I'm under the impression that most do...

Stuck some foam to the outside of the speaker inlet to act as a baffle. Has worked pretty well.

15. I've just bought a hero 4 silver. The lcd screen on the back is great for going through the options and for taking photos. I was going to buy the 4 black but it was a bit more complicated to use and set up. I'm very pleased with it. There are a few deals out there as the new models are on the way.

16. +1 Garmin Virb (Black) that is now discontinued (I think) and can be bought for about £90. All the high HD quality recording of the Elite (White) camera without the gps, etc. that I didn't need.

The killer feature of this camera is a very simple slider that you can use with gloves to start/stop filming. Loads of great video moments get missed with cameras that are tricky to operate....like the Go Pro

17. buy a cheap gopro copy of ebay and after a few weeks figure out you have done the best thing. Once you have bored your family, then mates and eventually yourself with boring rides down boring roads you will have saved yourself a couple of hundred quid.

• Like Like x 2
  18. And that is your opinion, not one shared by the millions of people who video all sorts of things.
    If you need to save the couple of hundred quid then sell your bike and don't bother with your boring rides down boring roads. I enjoy every minute that I am out on my bike, as do many others.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. well the bloke asked for opinions :Asshat:

20. Thanks for all the opinions. I'll take those into account and have to have a look around and then suggest to the wifey what she might like to buy me for Christmas ;)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information