1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why Direct Link Suspension?

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by SalkinSupersport, Dec 7, 2017.

1. I wondered why Ducati gave the Supersport the direct link suspension.

It was suppose to be a sporty bike.

Even the Monster had a linkage suspension, right?

I understand that the direct link suspension is cheaper, but why use it only on a model that was suppose to be the sportiest after the Superbikes?

2. It sounds logical for the Monster, to use already available parts.

But why use Superbike parts and not Supersport parts for the Monster if cutting cost was the target.

And since Ducati likes to cut development cost and already had the tools and machines why not use the 851/888 parts for the Supersport also and thus providing a more sophisticated platform for a dedicated sporty model.

It still does not appear logical to me why Ducati developed a less sophisticated rear suspension only for the Supersport when they used already more sophisticated parts for the Monster.

Maybe just 90’s Italian logic?

#2 SalkinSupersport, Dec 8, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  3. Thanks for the replies.

No, I do not want to fit a linkage suspension on my SS, it is a low tech, non-complicated bike, even when it was new.

The SSie is just a funny mix of low-tech technology (engine and rear suspension) blended with some nice parts sourced from the Superbikes like the brakes, dash and wheels. Gives it a low-tech sophistication that's kinda charming.

If I want something more sophisticated, I will just buy one of the old Superbikes, which I may do at some point anyway.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information