1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1260 Windscreen Dilemma

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by djays, May 19, 2020.

1. Hi All

I am using my 1260 in combination with my ARAI X4 helmet.. after a trip recently the vibrations were unbearable and in the evening my head was still bouncing around like the balls on the lottery machine... clearly this is coming from the screen, i'm (5'7) i used the stock screen and extended it to see if it made any difference, but nothing!

So how would one decide on a new purchase???... best would be to test each screen but this is probably not possible.. i want to keep the Arai, so have to switch screens.

Is anyone here using the same helmet and height? would be interested for your input.

cheers

2. I am a bit taller, but not lots. I also use an Arai tour-x. I have no issues at all, but I run a shorter Puig race screen.

TBH, I never used the stock screen so dont know if that would have given similar issues. I do know the Puig works well in every position though :)

3. What part of uk are you in djays?

4. I also spoke with some people and they also dont have an issue, but for me i must be in just the wrong position on the MTS, i wear the same helmet on the hyper and dont get the same beating... i have looked at the smaller PUIG race screen too, it doesn't effect you at all?

5. Im in Essex

6. I never ran the big screen, it came off the day I got the bike, but I can say 100% I have encountered zero issues with the shorter Puig race screen. Mine is actually a 1200 DVT, but there is little difference really.

7. appreciate your feedback.. its one of the options at the moment :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  8. I've got 3 screens for my Enduro, standard, tall 'touring' and Puig Race. The Puig seems the best to me so far though I haven't done long distance on it yet.

Puig 'looks' the best anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Same problem with my Schberth E1.

1) Remove peak...test.
    2) Get short screen\take current one off to open helmet up to reg airflow...test.
    3) Try longer screens.

On my ENDURO which has slightly different ergos i ended up with no peak and TT screen.

In general the OEM screen profile/mounting just SUCKS.

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. I'm 5'9" on a good day and have a Shuberth C3 Pro. Over the years I've had several different helmets and screens but never suffered excessive buffeting, more excessive noise.
    One thing to try and not too expensive are spacers for the mounts. They make a gap under the front of the screen and smooth the airflow.
    At present I have an MRA screen with an airofoil, fitted after I broke the OE screen. I'd say it's the best screen I've had to date and lowered gives clean air whilst raised will keep rain off.

11. I have a 2013 multi and test rode the 1260. the buffeting from the screen was horrendous in any position. Perfect on my 2013 which is smoothest on the lowest setting. I am 5.10 and wear a shoei neotec (best helmet I've ever had.) Looks like from other posts that a small screen might help. And the seat on the 1260 was also uncomfortable. The dealer said to me after the test ride that the seat and screen were the most items that customers changed.

12. On my MTS 1260 I tried a Puig Touring screen (as the one on my MV Turismo was perfect compared to the OEM one), wasn't any better than stock. Then a Touratech, £180 but supplier promised to take it back if I didn't peel off the film, that was just as bad and was returned for a refund. Then I bought a used Puig race screen off Bradders of this parish, I didn't try that as I discovered Jamie Clare's Iconic spacers with the OEM screen which works well for me.

Everyone's experience may vary as there are many variables involved...

I still have both Puig screens, if anyone wants either then let me know and we could work something out.

13. I'm the same height as yourself, and the buffetting on the standard screen is terrible. And deafening.

I have tried 4 different screens (inc. the Puig sports), all with and without the fabled spacers that people advise .. the shorter the screen the better. Finally settled on a pikes peak screen. Not 100% sorted but the best so far.

Try removing the screen all together and you will find it alot better.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. The seat on my 1200 Enduro was pretty awful until, £90 later for a rebuild, massively better.

15. I say this every time a screen thread comes up, a short screen for normal day to day and the standard screen with a Wunderlich (or similar) deflector for big tours.

https://www.wunderlich.de/shop/en/wunderlich-screen-deflector-vario-ergo-20280-002-1.html
    There are some cheaper Chinese ones on eBay now if you want to try the concept. As Coman says some sort of screen spacers and a deflector or Vario screen will cure the problem. Might not be the most sexy solution but it works

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Adjustab...-Wind-Fit-BMW-KTM-Aprilia-Ducati/133240904985

16. I run the MRA screen, arai tour x and the spacers from Jamie to make the screen stand up straighter. It’s not perfect but it’s the best I can get.

17. I normally go by car, far less noise :D

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  18. I cut my std screen down after I bought a Givi screen. It was so much better, the std screen was never going back on so I cut it down and tested it, was no buffeting but more wind pressure from the front. Good for shorter rides and chuck the big screen on for touring. I bought an MRA Vario but it did not make much difference to the std screen, also a Palmer bracket, I am selling it, nice as it is, it made little difference.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Yes from what i have seen its a favourable change, I've just never had an issue before with this helmet/screen combo..
    I changed to the lower seat already, screen next...

• Useful Useful x 1
  20. Unless the wife also goes ? ;) :D

Do Not Sell My Personal Information