1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Winter Storage - Fuel

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Jonnybiscuit, Sep 24, 2020.

1. 1198s - Plastic tank - Always use Shell V-Power (premium) fuel.............................. so.......................brim, or drain the tank for winter storage?

2. Brim it would be my advice.

I know on my Diavel, if I left it part filled, the fuel sender would get gummed up as the fuel evaporates and leaves the lacquer behind. The fuel sender then sticks and stops working.

I know through my own experience.

• Like Like x 1
  3. I would brim it with Esso Supreme as that still has zero ethanol in most places.

‘Esso super unleaded petrol (Synergy Supreme+ Unleaded 97) is ethanol free (except in Devon, Cornwall, the Teesside area and Scotland). We would therefore advise anyone who has concerns about the presence of ethanol in petrol to use Synergy Supreme+ – providing they do not fill up in Devon or Cornwall, the Teesside area or Scotland’.

https://www.esso.co.uk/en-gb/fuels-faqs

Shell V Power may have ethanol.

‘This means that, in the UK, Shell regular unleaded and Shell V-Power unleaded are likely to contain some ethanol, but it will not be present at more than 5% (in accordance with current UK specification requirements)’.

https://support.shell.com/hc/en-gb/articles/115005935369-What-is-Ethanol-

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. :upyeah:...but I'm mostly concerned about the plastic tank (and deformation).

5. :upyeah:Unless somebody comes up with a strong argument to dissuade me, that's exactly (incl. using Esso) what I had planned to do :upyeah:

6. That’s how I’ve got my Elefant as the tanks on those like to suck up water.

7. Drain. I store my 1098R with the fuel tank empty and the (race) fuel cap removed. IIRC, worst case scenario, any fuel with ethanol as a constituent, left in the tank will in time cause the tank to swell. Andy

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Following the problem I had with the fuel sender on the Diavel, I worked on the Brim it method, every time I knew I would be leaving the bike stood for more than a month. Never had a problem with the sender again, never noticed an issue with the tank swelling, and I stripped the tank off a few times to swap filler caps etc

#8 Carbon749, Sep 24, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
  9. Drain and fuel cap open slightly. deffo not full and with ethanol Shell o_O

• Like Like x 1
  10. I have a Triumph Daytona, which has a plastic tank. I always leave my bikes with full tanks of fuel. Last time I serviced the Daytona I had the fuel tank off for a few days & when I came to refit it, it was a right pain in the you know what to get the front two bolts in because the tank had swelled/deformed.
    I have since started using Esso super whenever I can, (& remember to !). I've not had the tank off since, but hope the lack of ethanol in the Esso will prevent further swelling.

11. Brim + Putoline e10 fuel fighter if relatively short storage. (3-6 months) Most ideally you want to add the additive on the last ride so it gets to pump/injectors.
    I would completely empty the tank if was to store for longer period...plastic tank shouldn't be prone to internal condensation.

12. i brim mine plus fuel stabiliser .

13. Always brim. That is what the RAF do with aircraft, piston and jet engine ones, before putting away for any amount of time for two reasons. Fuel vapour in a partially filled tank is very explosive, but fuel is not. Condensation can form in a partially filled tank but not in a full one.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Slightly off-topic, but does anybody know the reason why Esso put ethanol in the fuel for Devon, Cornwall, Teeside & Scotland & not other areas ? It just sounds odd.
    I know this is the case as I have read it before on Esso's own web site too.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information