1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wiring loom

Discussion in 'Diavel & XDiavel' started by Harry the Bastard, Dec 22, 2013.

1. Guys,
    I have a Diavel which I purchased about 6 months ago, I have ridden it in all weathers and have had some electrical issues which have resulted in me having to have a new wiring loom fitted. The bike was out of warranty in July this year and Ducati at Coventry have said they would replace the loom as a good will gesture but I would have to pay for the labour. Has anyone else had an issue with having to replace their wiring loom? I am unhappy to pay for the labour as I believe the issue to be with Ducati, as a bike of this calibre should not require a new loom after two years, the bike has done just over 11k miles.

2. Can't comment on the diavel but Ducati are good with good will gestures and it's the norm to pay for labour, it's out of warranty regardless so I think you've done ok.

3. Do it yourself. Ain't hard.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Welcome to the forum

5. Moved to Diavel :smile:
    Welcome by the way :upyeah:

6. Pilot error of Vehicle failure? Think i'd be pushing for a full repair under sale of goods act, given is it fair wear and tear to need replacing by now? Or at very least be looking for warranty labour rate not retail

7. Nope.

In my opinion you have a right to expect any bike, but particualrly a "premium" one, to last a reasonable length of time / mileage without needing expensive repairs.

I would ask the dealer, then Ducati UK, to pay in full. If they refuse, get the job done but pay under protest. The write to the dealer (it's handy that it's the one you bought it from as they are legally liable) and ask them to repay you, citing the durability and satisfactory quality aspects of the Sale of Goods Act 1979.

They'll probably refuse so take out a small claims court action for repayment using the online small claims court - http://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk

It's a horribly grey area but no reasonable person would expect such a thing to go wrong at your expense.

Warranty or not, its not good enough that a component will fail in such a short span of time and with such relative low (compared to a car) mileage. Especially if the vehicle has had a full service history from a main
    dealer at the required intervals, and especially not a major component like the wiring harness. In fact it might be worth emphasising that its failures like this that add to the stigma of italian reliability.

Just my opinion.

#7 Sev, Dec 24, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Sev, Thanks for the advice, will let you know how I get on.

9. Agree, unless you did something to make it happen(eg reversed polarity on battery) why should you shell out?!

10. did they say why it needed a loom?

11. No but will ask on Friday and let you know

12. cool. when i worked for a fiat dealership we wernt allowed to repair some looms, A.B.S being one, only replace,someone would come up from there technical dept and repair.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information