1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

821 Wont Crank All Indicators Flashing - Solved

Discussion in 'Monster' started by ShaveOff, Dec 27, 2017.

1. Hi, I got a 821 a few weeks ago and it's the first Ducati I've owned. This morning it would not start.

The dashboard cycles through the start up checks but it all stays illuminated/blinking and all four indicators are constantly flashing away at normal speed. No error codes are displayed just a row of dashes.

I can hear what I guess is the fuel pump priming and the ignition/solenoid click. Fan does not come on. Pressing the start button I get no response at all.

Anyone have an idea what this is likely to be. It was out in the rain at work overnight so I am wondering if it is water ingress somewhere.

Cheers

#1 ShaveOff, Dec 27, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
  2. Seems likely.
    Spray button assembly with lots of WD40??
    Is there a hazard warning facility??
    If so and you’ve accidentally switched it on, maybe the starter is disabled until it’s switched off??

3. Thanks, I've taken both switch assemblies apart and given them a good clean out with WD40 but no change. Checked the hazard function and that appears to be working as it should. Battery is at 12.2 volts which should be enough.

Still have the following lights flashing on the instrument panel:
    Engine warning
    Neutral
    Oil
    Petrol
    Traction Control
    Indicators

ABS light stays fully lit.

No error warnings at all.

4. Battery might measure 12.2V but sounds very much like battery.
    Do you have another you can try or jump with?

5. Well I have ruled the battery out. I put in on an Optimate charger today and the results are fine (taking and holding a full charge). Fuses all seem good too.

I have noticed that the rear two indicators do not work when I select the hazard function. It's really odd because part of the problem is that they both come on with the front ones when I turn on the ignition and they all stay on.

Now I'm suspecting that the electrics for the indicators/hazards are the issue but I can't see why that would give me a no start situation.

6. Newness?

7. Check the wiring connector to the rear light section of wiring, they corrode there

8. Thanks for the suggestion Bolds and I will check those connectors out.

I found a video of an 821 starting up on Youtube. This may be a lot of help to find the fault. Go to 20 seconds in.

When I turn the ignition key on I hear the fuel pump priming but I don't hear the quick and higher pitched 'weep weep' sound anymore. Anyone know what that higher sound is made by?

9. Just a thought, did you buy the bike new or used? Either way it sounds like you may need to enter a PIN, in the settings menu. If used either the previous owner may have set a PIN or if new you may have accidentally activated the PIN function.

10. Exhaust valve? If that bike was mine then that sound would be me.

11. 12.2v is actually pretty marginal

12. Well I have taken the battery of the bike to charge it and found the + terminal bolt was only finger tight but that was not the issue. Battery is fully charged/holding a charge and back on the bike but no change.

Tried the pin code menu and it has an 'O' indicating that it has an old PIN code. Unfortunately I don't have it so need to contact the previous owner to check this one off.

13. Good luck and hope you get it sorted soon.

14. Did you check the rear wiring connector ?

15. Hi Bolds, yes it was a good call. I checked that (small white block?) and there was some corrosion but nothing too bad. Cleaned it up but it has not helped I'm afraid.

It seems that the Instrument Panel is doing the pre-checks but not detecting anything.

Here's a summary:

I have the following lights blinking on the instrument panel:

Engine warning
    Neutral
    Oil
    Fuel
    Traction Control - Amber light
    Indicators (front and rear are flashing)
    Rear brake light flashing.

ABS light steady lit.

No error warnings displayed.

Speedometer shows three 'steady dashes'.

Odometer does show the total mileage done.

The ABS and DTC boxes both show a 'flashing dash'

The temp gauge and the box to the right show 'steady dashes'.

I hear the fuel pump prime but the exhaust servo motor does not cycle.

When turned off everything goes out as it should and the immobiliser's red light flashes.

From what I've read I think the total mileage is stored in another unit which sends it to the Control Panel display. So some signal is being exchanged to show that the immobiliser is working and to display the total mileage.

I think that something is preventing the diagnostics at start from reading or detecting the other items. I'm wondering if those checks need to be completed before the bike allows the exhaust motor to cycle and the starter solenoid to activate which is preventing it from starting.

#16 ShaveOff, Jan 1, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  16. normally if you are getting the indicators flashing it is a wiring issue relating to the CAN line and this could be to do with ABS or BBS control units ( i presume you have checked all the main fuses?) you would need to check resistance first on the CAN lines (120ohms on main and 60ohms to dash)

17. Hi Bolds, checked all fuses in the two boxes on the right frame, fuses on the solenoid and ABS in the battery box.

Going to look into testing the CAN line when I can find a guide.

Cheers for the help.

18. Give them all a good wiggle.
    Just because they are intact doesn't mean they are connecting properly to the fuseholder.

19. Solved - The problem was corrosion on the connector to the rear subframe wiring (Part 64 on the wiring diagram in the manual).

upload_2018-1-3_12-37-8.png

Bolds, I think that this is the part you were telling me to check but I looked at a smaller white connector under the seat. Thanks for your help you are a star:upyeah:

Found it eventually by just pushing and pulling on the wiring from the Black Box and noticing pressure canceled some of the issues out.

Suns out I'm so going for a good ride on my way to work this afternoon:sun:

• Like Like x 3
Do Not Sell My Personal Information