1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Won't Get Fueled Again

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Lazzzydog, Sep 12, 2021.

1. I am being driven nuts by a recurring problem on my 998. It will run like new for a few miles then it just dies like its run out of fuel. I went to the Italian Day at Bridgnorth last Sunday and then on to the cafe at Quatt after for a brew but on the way back and 45 miles on the trip she just died with no warning, not even a splutter or backfire. Suspecting a fault with the electrics I checked every fuse and connector but got no joy, she would fire up but cut out straight away. A mate rescued me with his van and back home I suspected a split hose in the tank but when I got the pump assembly out the hoses, clamps and filter were all like new. I put it back together and to my surprise it fired up sounding like a good un so off I went for a test run and 5 miles in after getting the temp up I gave it some welly and shortly after it died again, but this time it restarted but running very rough and barely pulling it got me home. Rinse and repeat but this time I dismantled the pump assembly as well hoping that maybe something was trapped in the mesh filter and occasionally blocking the pick up hole but no joy.
    I have checked the crank position sensor and the pump runs on ignition and permanently when the engine is turning.
    Questions for them that know :-
    1. The bike has done 17000 miles, could the pump have gone weak?
    2. Inside the metal connector block where the fuel pipes from the tank join and another pipe rises vertically up to the injectors is it just a connector or is there a valve in there?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Try replacing the fuel pump relays they may be getting a bit dicky in their old age , its a cheap(ish) easy option.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. I have tried cleaning the contacts on the solenoids and switching their positions round but it made no difference. I don't know much about electrics, would they switch off or break contact intermittently once they had switched on?

4. It is fitted with this immobiliser that's not working. Anybody know a good bike auto electrician who could remove it? IMG_20210912_172728.jpg IMG_20210912_174651.jpg

5. The relays are electro mechanical and as such ripe for age related intermittent faults. My 916 Fuel pump relays became a bit intermittent recently . Though I'd get rid of that alarm asap.
    On my old (1st) 916 it had a datatool alarm that was a simple unplug the alarm from the loom and refit all the original connectors back together it was fairly easy to trace the alarm wiring and spot the plugs that needed to go back together with the alarm removed (not that good a security feature!)

6. Blocked breather? Try opening the fuel cap when this next happens. If there's a quick inrush of air or you can't open it then that could be your answer. I've heard that Fi bike fuel pumps can potentially implode the tank if this happens.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Sound. I'll get some new ones and keep my fingers crossed.

8. Yes I have tried opening the fuel cap and there's no vacuum and the bike still would not start.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Looks like you might have covered this with fuel filter checked but could there be sludge in the bottom of the tank causing an intermittent issue??

10. With the fuel drained and the pump assembly out you get a good view of the inside of the tank and its as clean as a whistle.

11. Hi, just a silly question. Have you checked to see that when you drop the tank down, it doesn't trap or kink the fuel pipes restricting the flow. Just that I had that happen on my bike, enough was getting through to start, but soon started to cough and splutter.

12. Not a silly question at all, but I have been down that route and ruled it out.

13. This problem has been a complete ball ache but fingers crossed I have sorted it now. I fitted 2 new fuel pump relays (£10 the pair from Ducati main dealer) and she started on the button and revved freely on the stand. Feeling confident I set off for a quick test run and my heart sank when it started misfiring at highish revs. I decided to go with the next cheapest option and fitted 2 new plugs. Time for another test ride, but the fickle finger of fate struck again, as soon I selected first gear the engine cut out. Wheel her back into the garage to find a broken wire on the side stand switch, an easy cheap fix. Hopefully that's it for problems for a while now but I still need to regain confidence in the old girl before I venture too far from home again on her.
    On the plus side I wanted something to tinker with and improve, I have learned how to change the belts, and I could strip and refit the injection system with my eyes closed, which is nice, but I was planning on doing it during the salty roads season.

• Like Like x 2
  14. I used a bloke called Dave Marler 07973 332591/07956 823686 to remove an alarm from my ZX7 last year. Did a top job, al whilst in my garage and I drank tea.

http://davemarler.co.uk/

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. Thanks. I will give him a ring.

• Like Like x 1
  16. WARNING... thread resurrection.
    This bike is doing my head in, when it's running it is sweet as a nut with all the power you could expect and rides like a new one. But it isn't running very often and has sat in the garage on a trickle charger all summer after letting me down yet again. I had it running a treat and did a short 10 mile test ride and it blew my mind how good it was so I came home for a brew before setting off for a local bike night but 400 yards up the road I went from 1st to 2nd and it died yet again. Pissed off I put it at the back of the garage and hoped that if I ignored it then it might go away. This weekend my conscience got the better of me so I took another look and tried undoing the codge job on the sidestand switch but my talent for electrics soon ran out so I rang Dave Marler who won't travel out the hour to get here and doesn't want to get involved if I trailer it to him.
    Is there anybody out there who isn't scared of old Ducati electrics prepared to have a day in North Shropshire either removing the alarm or just troubleshooting and getting it reliable?
    I'm not looking for a freebie. Cash, tea/coffee and biscuits waiting.

17. Does it have a micro switch on the clutch to prevent starting in gear

18. My mate had a similar problem and it was a dodgy side stand switch.

19. No switch on the clutch lever on these. You do have to remember to check the kill switch position though in case somebody has been messing.

20. I'm hoping that this is the problem and that's why I want it back to standard but the wiring to it has been butchered and the wire colours don't match the diagram I got with the bike. On the diagram there are only 2 wires going to the switch but the switch has 3 wires coming from it, that's where I surrender, I can follow a plan but I don't have the skills to inprovise or work out what should go where.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information