1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1198 Wont Start

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by cookster, Oct 10, 2017.

1. hello chaps, first time taking the bike out this morning after being stood for about 3 months (on optimate charger), key in ignition turn on, fuel pump primes hit starter button.... nothing, try try again still nothing, i took the key out then back in turned ignition on and off 3 times then hey presto fired first stab of the button i got to work and tried again and fired up first time (warmed up), could this mean my imobilizer antena is on the way out?? or did it just not like being woken up and taken out in the cold?? cheers guys. :upyeah:

2. Put it down the "character" :)

3. Immobiliser antenna I reckon.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Shit in the fuel tank?

On second thoughts don’t. It will only make it worse.

• Funny Funny x 9
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  5. not had any fault code come up.... yet.

6. My old 1198 was a bugger to start if I left her over winter without periodically warming her up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Have you replaced the OE plastic tank/ignition switch cover with a carbon one ? Carbon is a notorious signal attenuator. Andy

8. When I've left a bike standing a while (all the time) I find it best to turn the ignition on, give the throttle a few full-scale twists and then turn the bike off again, then try and start it around 20-30 seconds later. I don't know why this seems to do the trick but it works for me.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. If it wasn't reading the chip in the key you would see an IMMOB error on the dash if you enter the errors section (first menu).

10. As with all wireless technologies, it isn't a binary thing - connected or not-connected. If the reader is doing a half-assed job of reading the signal, you may get a failure to release the ignition but enough of a signal not to trigger the error code.

Do I sound pissed off with wireless connectivity technology? Apologies for that.

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. @Android853sp stand plastic cover mate, I'll take it apart later and try the washer mod.

12. why would the fuel pump prime if it was immobilized?unless someone knows otherwise i would go starter circuit.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. Very true

14. Could it be the actual start button on the switchgear. Blast of contact cleaner might help.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Loose connections to solenoid?

16. weak battery, poor earth connection, stuck solenoid?

17. got new battery 5 months ago, il squirt some stuff down the button. :upyeah:

18. i would suspect the solenoid then, do you hear it click when you press the starter

19. No there was nothing at all, no clicks no lights dimming.

20. Ive had that on both 916 and 1198. I rocked it back and forth in gear and hey presto. But I suspect its just a case of being left for a while.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information