1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

999 World Ducati Week On A Mono' - Am I Mad?

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by mileypau, Apr 22, 2022.

1. Hi all

999s now installed in the house (of course) having retired it from track days:

20210313_135422.jpg

And then up pops Ducati Week info' and I'm thinking, blast out, one day pass, blast home again. If you've got it use it.

Basically am I mad to contemplate the trip?

Anyone done a bit of 'touring' on a mono'?
    Is the event worth attending?
    What's gonna break on a 2500 mile round trip?
    Do I need to bring a big old lock (that's half my luggage space gone)?
    Ruck sack of any size is going to weigh pretty heavy by the time I reach Italy......so luggage is the tiny official tank bag that fits the tank contour.
    BTW I do have the 749R tank so a few litres more range.

20210330_142510.jpg Thoughts peeps?

2. partly depends on your age for me, cliched of course, but I would say seize it! (no, not the motor).
    Soon after my back operation, I bought and fettled/repaired a classic car on behalf of a buyer in St Andrews (Scotland). He told me how much it would cost to trailer to him after i'd finished and in a moment of madness I offered to drive it to him for less than that.
    I set out from Woking (Surrey) at around 10pm and broke down on the Forth Bridge at around 8am.
    It did "get me" badly the day after but I look back and will never forget that journey as was so enjoyable and can feel really pleased that at least I managed this.

#2 Chris, Apr 22, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  3. thanks Chris - I'm nearer sixty than 50 but pretty fit and can find the edge of my tyres no problem. I really fancy a couple of 500 mile days to get into a great 'groove' with the bike. Track days can be a little frantic.....

• Like Like x 4
  4. Go! Buy new t.shirts when you get there, and everything else you need will fit in a little bag...

• Like Like x 2
  5. C'mon Chris -what was the car?

6. I used to go to the Sachsenring on my 999 mono. Rotterdam to Chemnitz in a single day Autobahn dash. All done in 100 mile stints. I had a Ventura rear pack for luggage. Keep an eye on the classifieds as I am getting the rails, rack and pack ready to sell.

• Like Like x 2
  7. You know what it was Jez!:)

8. Super nice!

I thought it might be a Lancia, but... Pretty things those Fulvia HF!

9. Do it!
    I would do a couple of day runs locally first though, good shakedown if bike's been standing..
    Ventura is a good idea, I did a full length France A-road trip on my 999.. didn't use Ventura, but attached a Givi topbox to a spare rear seat.. admitted mine us a biposto though.

Just pack mega light, sox, gruts, t-shirts.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Superlight is skidders, socks toothbrush & shaver, deodorant & toothpaste. Everything else is either in the hotel or easily available. He is only planning a 3 day trip!

PS.
    What's a "grut"? Is this some new fangled Frenchie thing? LOL

11. Hey don't provoke me... I'll never be French! :)
    Gruts...Geordie for "skidders"...a term I've never heard either! :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Lovely bike

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information