1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

999 Wot, No Light Switch?

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by Charles Hunt, Sep 28, 2021.

1. Being used to conserving every available scrap of electrical energy at least until the engine is running, I was somewhat surprised on collection to find that the lights on my 2004 BIP were on permanently and I couldn't find a light switch. I was then even more surprised to read in the manual that there should be a switch on the RH cluster. On checking, the area is neatly blanked off (doesn't look like a post build bodge)

Anyone else? Not an original UK spec machine? Any other explanations?

2. They are permanently on. No switch.
    It’s “for your safety” - bureaucrats know best!

3. Many thanks. Serves me right for RTFM.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. EU legislation of that era onward dictated lights must be on when ignition on, no choice. However, most manufacturers incorporate a system to switch them off (sidelights only maybe) when starting. I think my MTS is on sidelights until engine is running, need to verify this though.

5. My 2003 model has a light switch. I wonder if you can still buy those? In the In-Moto lists the '03 999 is often absent, leaving me hoping/assuming it's the same part as for '04 and above. Sometimes it says too many models use the part to list them all. And - sometimes - while it doesn't list the '03 999, it does list the '03 749.

https://www.bike-parts-ducati.com/

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. One could always wire in an in line switch from Halfords with twisted together wiring connections to slave in an on/off switch…

7. Thanks again all. It was the mis-match between the bike and the manual that had me confused as much as anything. Not too concerned as she's starting fine at the moment.

The immediate problem is keeping the coolant in! Only as I put her into the garage after my 360 mile collection ride did I notice coolant spilling out. 600 cc next morning to replenish. Another small spill after a half hour search for fuel yesterday morning.

I think I'd better try another short ride (fuel!!) and then listen to see if the cooling fans kick in.

Anyone know any good Ducati mechanics around Brighton, or are Pro Twins my best?

8. When purchased earlier this year my M1000DS had the blanked off light switch.

As has been mentioned it was a simple case of buying a set of Right Hand switchgear off Ebay with the switch installed and swapping it over to take it back to manual control.
    I think the one I purchased was from an early(1000DS) Multistrada.

My 999 project will be getting the same treatment.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. The one above suggested by Nasher looks very like the other, is much cheaper, and is used but appears in good condition from the images provided. The part number is given as: 65040081A, and the number from the parts list I checked is: 65040081B . I don't know the significance of the last letter, but a Ducati dealer might help, just to be sure before you commit to buy.
    I hope the cheaper one is suitable, if you decide to invest?
    Good luck.
    Tom.

10. Is there a coolant leak visible?

11. Just had the fairing off. My expansion bottle is opaque black so you can't see the level until it overflows. Took it for a short run then left it idling in garage. Coolant coming out at expansion tank cap. Fan kicked in at 105 DegC.

Maybe it's just kicking out the over-fill?

12. Charles, there is a clear section of the expansion tank on the inside that you can see from the other side of the bike.

Capture.JPG

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Ah Italian logic. To look at something on the right hand side of the bike you take off the LH fairing!! Or is the suggestion that you can see the clear section on the inside face without removing either fairing? Will go an have a look.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Flaming Norah! (I seem to be using this nonsensical phrase hourly these days! Who was Norah anyway?)

For anyone else following this path for the first time, I'm so old I forget that phones have a torch in, so with the bars on left lock, if I kneel down at the front of the bike, put the phone light up inside, I can get a clear view of the level window. It's now sitting on 'full' so if it loses any more, further investigations will be needed.

(Note: This is with the LH fairing off at the moment, but I don't think this will affect this 'kneel at the front' technique)

15. Brief update.

1. I meant RH fairing.
    2. Safe in the knowledge that the level was correct, and being able to get a few litres of petrol in a Gerry can yesterday, I took her for a run yesterday evening. No overflow or leakage. So for now all looks good and fairing back on.
    3. Now just waiting for the heatwave and see if I can find any enjoyable roads in the SE and not collect any points.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information