1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you believe it?

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by Ghost Rider, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Used the bike through last year, no problems.

Used the bike through the winter, sporadically, so it was getting fresh fuel.

Changed the HT leads and plug caps......and made a better job of the ones that were fitted.

Improved the electrical connections to the coils....some were a bit on the loose side.

Checked the air filter to see if it needed changing but it seems perfectly OK.

Cleaned the spark plugs etc.

Used it in real foggy damp conditions last week --- no problem.

Went for an 80 mile run at the weekend --- no problem, ran well....fresh fuel / tankful (Shell)

Used it yesterday for a 15 mile trip.....fresh fuel (Shell)......ran rough at low speeds and started occasional backfiring in the airbox on the over-run in low gears......does the same thing when stationary after having blipped the throttle four of five times.

Carb heaters 'on' which normally do the trick in cold weather --- but it wasn't that cold yesterday.

Now what the h*ll has caused that?

I suppose that's fairing off and an investigation needed......bl**dy h*ll.

AL

2. As sure Al, it will give you something to do...a chap like you needs to be keep busy....it's probably carburation of some sort, only problem is, everything has to come out to get at
    the little feckers.

3. Possible electrical gremlins... check your reg-rectifier and/or alternator bullet connectors?

4. You just love taking it to bits, and fiddling :)

I am afraid mine is running sweet as a nut no issues here :)

5. Well Al...any update? Have you got to teh bottom of the problem?

6. No...I haven't got to the bottom of the problem......That's largely because I have a problem with my bottom........

D*mn anti-biotics play havoc with my insides.........

And.....would you also believe it.........some tw*t has keyed my petrol tank..........why do people do things like that?

Still, I think I may be able to deal with it with a bit of careful work, even if it is down to the primer in a couple of places...........I use a touch up brush and keep filing the scratches with it and then T-cutting the excess off......trouble is, if it needs a lot, it might mean rubbing off the existing paint as well.

AL....these things are sent to try me.

7. Oh Al...your just in a S**T place at the minute...that's terrible, I don't know why people do that, I have had two cars keyed in my time
    and it's a terrible feeling, especially when your precious about stuff like that.
    You will never get it right, with a brush, maybe to a acceptable state, but your eye will always be drawn to it.....best get a good match
    and spray it in.
    I better not keep you to long, as your toilet may be missing you.

Eoin

8. As long as I am not missing the toilet then I can get by.....

AL

9. I'd try it again before taking it all to bits, it may yet have been carb icing!

10. Good Attitude...

11. Although my heaters normally work OK in colder weather than it was on the day of the problem, it was also a damp day so it's worth a giving it another run, but I think a closer check of the plugs might tell me summat.....

....I wouldn't expect carb icing to have caused the big drop in mpg though.......what's odd is that the spitting back in the carb, seems to indicate a weak mixture, but if anything I would say it normally runs a bit on the rich side.....

AL

12. I wonder if it was because my carb heaters were 'on' and they work quite well............the day wasn't that cold and I was in heavy stop start traffic, so maybe the fuel in the float bowls expanded and was overflowing......

......I think I will try with the tap 'off' before I start stripping things down.

AL

13. It's worth a try Al, funny the way the carb heaters can effect the running of the bike, as you know they are not fitted to the 900ss,
    and as I run that only in the summer, it does need to be well warm before it starts running right, however the 750ss runs very well
    cold, but mess around with the heaters when warm and it starts to idle faster, and then gets quiet erratic, I'm not used to it at all, and don't really know
    what setting is best on or off on the heaters, at this time of year....you may just have had the heaters on the wrong setting...that's all..simple maybe.
    Worth another run out to check.

Eoin

14. Reading through a couple of Ducati manuals and publications, they actually state the heaters must not be on in warmer weather otherwise expansion can occur.

So although it wasn't exactly warm, I was stuck in town traffic and constantly stop / starting, so the engine could have got a bit on the warm side and whacked up the oil temperature somewhat.

Pity the rugby team aren't as good at their game as you are putting together a Ducati.......still, at least I can now see where the expression of 'throwing a paddy' comes from....... :wink:

AL

15. Sounds like a timing issue.

16. I'd say problem solved, take her for another spin to see.

17. May be worthwhile fitting a temp.guage if you hant already done so?? :)

18. Funnily enough I had been thinking about various gauges and what would be useful.......I'll start another topic.

AL

Do Not Sell My Personal Information