1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would You Buy A Repaired Cat N?

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by Bonkers the Dog, Oct 26, 2021.

1. Hi,

just looking for your thoughts.

I have been in discussion with the owner of this near me, it has just been re-listed on Fleabay:

HONDA CRF250 ME-E MOTORCYCLE | eBay

Bearing in mind it's current status and that I want to convert it back to a dirt bike, I have offered her £1500 as I reckon it would cost £5-700 to recommission.

Tell me your thoughts...

REgards

BTD

2. I would far rather buy an unrepaired bike that I could work on myself to ensure the work was carried out correctly.

But to answer your question - Yes, if I could see some form of proof of what was wrong with it in the first place so I could check the repairs.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. My take begs the question how a 2 year old bike got written off only Cat N. I know the plastics for a sports bike is expensive but I though dirt bike plastics weren’t because they are likely to be damaged. Not enough information in the advert for my taste but I’m a suspicious bugger :D Andy

4. Yup, hear ya.

It is a lady rider. She states that it was not structural and that it has been repaired, but cannot prove it so far. I am guessing perhaps plastics, wheels, tyres, callipers, swing arm, bars, controls, tank etc as a result of s slow spill; but I am guessing so far. Bearing in mind, if its a 6 grand bike needing extensive repair or replacement, not frame/engine repairs, it doesn't take much to clock up a hefty repair bill that exceeds 20% of replacement value and thus is written off.

I have offered the money on the proviso of a good going over with a fine tooth comb, and a test ride.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. She’s asking top money for a bike that’s not been written off. Dunoon is definitely off the beaten track though :joy: Andy

6. Yes I would and yes I have. Several times. But sports bikes and only when I know it’s been used since and/or know and trust the seller.

My 1299 is, a lockstop missing and a scuff on the swingarm alone means it’s probably beyond repair before you add plastics.

Would take something to write off an enduro I reckon but guess it depends if it’s a pride and joy road bike or off-road one

7. Given it’s type it could be stolen recovered

8. I'd buy anything at the right price. I have no idea about the price of those bikes, but a quick look at eBay suggests that if you get it for the price you've offered its either forked in some way or you are lucky!

9. 20% seems about the right money for one that’s running, mot’d etc. If it’s not then it’s like any bike to be treated as a non runner

10. Academic now, she refused the offer.

• WTF WTF x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. She’s a chancer mate, lucky escape. Andy

12. Sounds dodgy to me too - thrashed and crashed, "repaired" then abandoned in the back of a garage. "But it is 'mint' and worth more than what I paid for it".

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. I know all sorts of things are going on these days with the sexes, but a female called Trevor is not a great start.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. I thought that

• Like Like x 1
  15. We've got a bloke at work called Trevor who's a 'bit of an old woman'.

Does that count?

16. We shouldn’t really be judging in this day and age mind

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Everything is buyable at the right price. I’ve bought Cat D/N bikes and currently own one (an S4R) but only if they’re at least 20 - 30% below the regular asking price and there’s not some shaggy dog story behind the sale.

• Like Like x 1
  18. It’s amazing how much people want for fucked stuff.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Buying a CAT N is not an issue if you intend using the bike but there are a few things you need to minimize the risk. When a car or bike is written off there will be an insurers engineer inspection report which details the damage and costs it out using new component prices and labour costs. For my MY02 748S the damage was costed at £4605 against a Glass's retail book estimate of £2250 (which was a shock), I have attached a redacted copy of the report for interest so you can see the level of detail they include. If you are buying a CAT N this sort of report should be available and if it is not, an explanation of why not, otherwise walk away.

Lesson learnt by me is the book price for our bikes is much lower than we think it should be and the cost to replace damaged components with new will always be significantly higher than we could do it for ourselves.

Attached Files:

#20 Denzil the Ducati, Nov 5, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2021
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information