1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WTD: 748RS/749RS airbox engine breather valve (59310192A)

Discussion in 'Parts, Accessories & Clothing For Sale' started by 470four, Oct 20, 2012.

1. WTD: 748RS airbox engine breather valve (59310192A)

Hi all, chasing one of the above please?

Paypal waiting... [​IMG]

Darren

#1 470four, Oct 20, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2012
  2. rarer than a rare thing, you can cut turn around and use any of the std ones with a bit of patience

3. Is there such a thing as a 749RS?

4. he heee......

5. Indeed, here's one I made earlier;

[​IMG]

6. On my soon to be fitted engine it has an STM one I think, I removed it for cleaning and took it to pieces at the same time only to find the reed had completely broken up, after a long search on the net I couldn't find any replacement reed anywhere, so I have improvised with a carbon reed from a mini moto engine, it fits perfect without any cutting and the hole centers were spot on as well.

7. The STM ones have a habit of breaking up, from what I can remember they have no metal control stop like the std ones have, the reed bends back so far it eventually breaks off!

Anyone have a standard breather valve or two I can purchase please? :smile:

8. I have a spare couple or so. £10 posted next week. I am in spain at the moment.

Mike

9. Cheers Mike! :biggrin:

Dukedesmo, how did you uncrimp the alloy band around the middle? To be more specific, how did you re-crimp it? :wink:

Is it just a case of unscrewing the reed assembly and refitting it to the same holes on the other side?

10. I tried 'uncrimping' but it would have damaged the plastic so I cut the top 'lip' (one at the pointy end) off but cut as little as possible because you need as much material as possible to re-crimp it afterwards.

Once apart the valve 'plate' is a separate piece, you just need to flip it and then cut the threaded part off the old base (which will now become the top) because there is a taper inside that prevents the valve fitting unless you cut the 'top' (was the base) off.

Cut it to the thickness of the valve 'plate' but if possible leave a small amount of the lip as a retaining lip because the crimp is only just enough to cover the valve plate and hold it all together.

You also want to plug the oil drain hole between the reeds (I used a 3mm bolt) as there is no no need to have a return hole in the airbox.

If you only cut off the very end of the ally sleeve, there will be just enough to push it over the whole assembly and then using a small hammer you can peen (re-crimp) it around the tapered part. I also used araldite to hold it all together before re-fitting the sleeve for 'belt and braces' strength.

I actually made a couple but the first was not so pretty because I cut the square crimped end off (as it was easier to get at) and cut a little too much in doing so - the 'square' crimped end sits neater on the new valve top as you don't need to hammer it down and it is narrower at the opening so it gives better 'coverage'. I also then had to grind some of the plastic on the taper to be able to peen the ally over it and it doesn't look as neat, although perfectly functional.

Once you've cut it open you'll see what I mean, I have got some pics of the process so if you want I can make a 'how-to' but once apart it'll be obvious and as long as you leave the ally sleeve as long as poss you'll be fine. :upyeah:

#10 Dukedesmo, Oct 26, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Inlet end peened over, not as neat as factory pressed but good enough for me;

Breather2.jpg

12. Uh...

Would appear that Cranker has been "banned", no option to PM?? :frown:

Still looking for crankcase breathers please! :smile:

13. I think it is just a 7 day rest period.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information